Farm Life Center at Drumlin Farm
In 2011 Drumlin Farm opened the Farm Life Center, a state-of-the-art green building and showcase for the principles of green design and construction. The electricity produced by the photovoltaic array on the Sheep & Goat Barn helps to power the all-electric Farm Life Center, and it is hoped that this electricity will provide the bulk of the energy needs for the Farm Life Center on an annual basis.
A few of the green features of the Farm Life Center:
- Significant insulation to ensure maximum heating/cooling efficiency, including 6 inches of insulation underground topped by 4 inches of concrete and 4 inches of insulation in the walls. The ceiling and skylights are also insulated, and the windows are triple glazed.
- Heating, cooling and lighting powered by the solar array on the Sheep and Goat Barn
- A light shelf (painted white), which bounces natural daylight into the building to minimize the need for artificial light
- Linoleum-flooring made with all natural ingredients including linseed oil, cork, jute, and natural minerals
- Paints, adhesives, and sealants free of Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) to improve indoor air quality
- Lumber milled from trees harvested at Drumlin Farm, with all purchased lumber certified by the Forest Stewardship Council
- A heat recovery ventilator to bring in fresh air from the outside, preheating the air in winter and precooling the air in summer, to provide ventilation while reducing energy use
- An air-to-air heat pump to take in outside air and extract any heat energy to boost the indoor air temperature and reduce the effort of the electric heating system (works even on cold days)
- Landscaping that features native plants as well as fruit trees to illustrate the connection between farm and natural habitats
Low-Flow and No Flow Water Fixtures
Drumlin Farm's bathrooms use low-flow and no flow water fixtures, helping save thousands of gallons of water per year. Automatic sensors turn the lights off when the restrooms are not in use.