Guided Nature Experience
Mass Audubon created this self-guided, fully accessible trail so that everyone could experience this gateway to the Blue Hills. There is a guide rope along our outdoor trail, occasionally replaced by tactile cues on the ground, for the entire length of the trail. There are alternative paths around the stairs, and all the slopes meet accessibility standards.
Outdoor portion of the trail is approximately one-quarter mile.
- Trail follows a wide path with a smooth, mostly shaded, paved surface.
- 10 outdoor stops include animal enclosures and a bird feeding station.
- 7 indoor stops include natural history displays and an observation bee hive .
- Most of the trail is level, with a few gentle slopes.
- An audio tour of the accessible trail is available for download.
Listening on Your Phone
You can call and listen to the audio tour on your cell phone as you enjoy the trail. The phone number is 617-618-1164 (your normal cellphone charges apply). The phone tour has a menu so that you can select the stop you would like to hear about.
Download the Tour
You can download the Audio Tour and play it on your iPod or other MP3 player. Or you can borrow an MP3 player at Blue Hills Trailside Museum during Nature Center hours.