Join Mass Audubon and L.L. Bean for a 3-hour birding and ecology kayak tour of the Charles River! Starting with a 25-35min of on-land orientation and safety instruction, we will spend over two hours on the water looking for wildlife. We will learn about the history of the Charles river with L.L.Bean expert Instructors, as we stop at several points of interest along the tour. See local wildlife such as Great Blue Herons, Bald Eagles, Beavers, and learn about river ecology with Mass Audubon expert wildlife biologist and ornithologist Lara Kazo. L.L. Bean will provide all essential equipment (kayaks, paddles, life jackets) and basic binoculars for any participants who do not have their own. All welcome, come together for this incredible experience!
What to Bring:
- Weather and activity appropriate clothing (preferably synthetic*)
- Water shoes or shoes you don't mind getting wet (closed toe recommended)
- Personal prescriptions such as EpiPen or inhaler
- One quart of water (no glass bottles)
- Insect repellent
*Synthetic clothing dries quickly and is the best choice for outdoor pursuits. Please do not wear cotton clothing. When wet, cotton rapidly robs the heat from your body and takes a long time to dry. We also recommend you dress in multiple layers, allowing you more flexibility to comfortably respond to the weather conditions and your level of exertion.
Optional Items to Bring:
- Waterproof camera
- Sunglasses with lanyard (polarized recommended)
- Hat with visor
- Extra change of clothes and shoes
- Lip balm with sunscreen