Nature & Wildlife Frequently Asked Questions
Encountered an Injured Bird?
If you are positive that the bird is injured (as opposed to a young bird still learning to fly), please contact a state-licensed wildlife rehabilitator. They are the only people allowed to have wildlife in their possession.
Visit the MassWildlife website to find a licensed wildlife rehabilitator near you or call MassWildlife at 508-389-6300.
Have a question about the nature and wildlife of Massachusetts? Find answers to many of the frequently asked questions to below.
Don't see your question below?
- What should I do if I find a baby bird out of the nest?
- What should I do if I find an injured bird?
- Where are the birds?
- What are common bird diseases?
- Why are the woodpeckers drilling holes on my house?
- Why are the woodpeckers making that drumming sound
- Why are birds flying into my windows?
- Why are birds attacking my windows?
- Why are birds acting aggressively?
- Do you have tips for feeding the birds?
- Where can I learn about wild turkeys?
- Where can I see eagles in Massachusetts?
- Where can I learn about hawk migration?
- Do bird populations change seasonally?
- Is it alright to feed the ducks?
- Why do ducks make nests in enclosed areas?
- What should I do about ducks in my swimming pool?
- What can I do about grackles dropping large white sacs in my swimming pool?
- Why am I seeing robins in winter?
- What is that bird that is singing at night?
- Why do some birds have white feathers?
- Where can I learn about birdhouses (nestboxes)?
- Why are there so many ladybugs in my house?
- What are those big brown bugs in my house?
- What are all those little grey moths?
- I saw an insect that resembled a hummingbird. What was it?
- What do I do if I found a tick on me?
- How can I prevent Lyme Disease?
- How do I know if my tree has an Asian longhorned beetle infestation?
- Can you help identify a butterfly?
Reptiles & Amphibians
- How can I learn more about salamanders?
- What is a vernal pool?
- What kind of turtles are in Massachusetts?
- What do I do if I see a turtle crossing the road?
- What species of snakes are in Massachusetts?
- What do I do if I encounter a snake?
- Are there venomous snakes in Massachusetts?
- What can I do about cottontail rabbits in my yard?
- Where can I learn more about squirrels?
- Where can I learn more about raccoons?
- What do I do if my pet is sprayed by a skunk?
- Where can I learn more about groundhogs (woodchucks)?
- Are black squirrels common in Massachusetts?
- What should I do if I encounter a bear?
- What do I do if there is a bat in my house?
- Where can I learn more about coyotes?