South Coast Osprey Project — Get Involved
|Remember to give all nesting Osprey a wide berth when boating or recreating in their habitat. If you realize your presence is causing parental distress, please respond by moving away until the adults and chicks resume their normal activity.|
We're always looking for people who can contribute their time, skills, and effort to help the South Coast Osprey Project with the following:
- Monitor the nesting platforms from land by using your own spotting scope and sending us your observations. (March through September, ongoing)
- Build new platforms according to our interchangeable design to have a stockpile for fast deployment during the narrow window of maintenance; we provide the specifications. (Year-round)
- Participate in work days to repair or replace old platforms in the field—especially if you have a boat! (March, April, September, October)
- Help our outreach team at local events and through various communication channels. (Year-round)
To get started as a volunteer, please complete our Volunteer Interest Form. Once we receive your information, we'll be in touch about matching you with the right volunteer opportunity based on your schedule.
By making a donation to the South Coast Osprey Project, you will join a group of important supporters who make it possible for us to:
- Maintain the platforms so they continue to support the next generation of Osprey.
- Monitor breeding successes and failures so we can stay abreast of important threats and trends.
- Contribute to the 50+ year dataset that Gil and Jo Fernandez began as volunteers for US Fish & Wildlife Service, Manomet, and Mass Audubon.
- Connect with researchers to maximize scientific advancement for the benefit of these birds and the coastal environment.
- Inspire young professionals and conduct community outreach to raise awareness about and commitment to healthy habitats and robust wildlife populations.