About Joppa Flats
Overlooking the Merrimack River and near the entrance to Parker River National Wildlife Refuge, the Joppa Flats Education Center offers unique educational opportunities for people of all ages.
Here, you can explore the region’s wildlife-rich habitats (salt marshes, mudflats, rivers, bays, and coastal waters) through guided tours, marine touch tanks, art exhibits, drop-in programs, and interpretive displays.
1 Plum Island Turnpike, Newburyport, MA 01950
Get directions or contact us >
Tuesday-Sunday & Monday holidays, 8:30 am-4:00 pm
Nonmembers: $2 suggested donation
EBT Participants: Free for up to 4 people when you show your EBT card
- Universally Accessible Nature Center
- Universally Accessible Restrooms
- Picnic Area
- Electric Vehicle Charging Station
- Excellent year-round wildlife viewing opportunities from the sanctuary grounds and in-door observation areas as well as magnificent views of the lower Merrimack River and Plum Island estuary.
- Birding programs for participants of all abilities; more than 300 species of birds recorded locally each year.
- Annual events, including the Superbowl of Birding, Merrimack River Eagle Festival, EcoGames, BioDiversity Day, Butterflies and Bugs, and Plum Island CoastSweep.
- Marine touch tank and interpretation by Joppa Flats staff and volunteers during the summer.
- Green features including two recharging stations for electric vehicles, photovoltaic panels, and a rainwater catchment system for toilet flushing.