Thank you to everyone who participated in Bird-a-thon 2013. We are happy to report all the results for this year.
But before we get to the results, we would like to say a great big thank you to the nearly 800 team members who birded and to the more than 200 individuals who took time out of their very busy lives to enthusiastically raise money for their teams. We would also like to thank the 2,100 donors who generously contributed over 2,250 gifts towards Bird-a-thon to date.
Award Winners for Bird-a-thon 2013!
Brewster Cup (1st place - most species seen) Drumlin Farm, 222 species
Forbush Award (2nd place - most species seen) Wellfleet Bay 216 species
Hatheway Cup (1st place - most money raised) Drumlin Farm, $46,500.00
The $ Cup (2nd place - most money raised) Joppa Flats, $25,009.00
IBA Regional Award (low carbon footprint award)
IBA Team with a total of 171 species counted only in IBAs located in Plymouth and Bristol County
Statewide Migration Award (greatest percent increase in fundraising total from the previous year)
Felix Neck with an increase of 60% over last year – Nice going Felix Neck!
Regional Migration Awards
For teams showing the greatest percentage increase in fundraising dollars in their region from 2012 to 2013 and excluding the Statewide Migration Award. All will receive a Mass Audubon funded pizza or ice cream party for the Bird-a-thon team.
- Greater Boston /North Shore – Ipswich River with a 26% increase in fundraising from 2012 to 2013
- Southeast/Islands – South Shore Sanctuaries with a 30% increase in fundraising from 2012 to 2013
- Central/West – Broad Meadow Brook with a 28% increase in fundraising from 2012 to 2013 – a repeat perform
Statewide Top Individual Fundraiser – Kathy Seymour
She raised $19,059 for Drumlin Farm. This is Kathy’s eighth consecutive year as top fundraiser. Kathy - Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. To get inspired and learn more about Kathy’s efforts and why she supports Bird-a-thon in such a meaningful way, please read our blog.
Top Three Fundraisers by Region (Non-staff)
Each will receive a $25 Mass Audubon gift card – for use in our gift shops or towards programs fees.
- Greater Boston/North Shore – Ann Gurka (Joppa Flats), Marygrace Barber (Boston Nature Center), Strickland Wheelock (Drumlin Farm)
- Southeast/Islands –Janet Drohan (Wellfleet Bay), Ann Vaughan (Wellfleet Bay), LeBaron Briggs(South Shore)
- Central/West – Russ Holden (Stony Brook), Bette Robo (Broad Meadow Brook), Anne Lombard (Connecticut River Valley)
- Headquarters/Others – Michael Pappone (IBA), Elizabeth Heide (Bertrand Chair)
Young Birders Award
For any birder 18 or younger who raises $200 or more will receive set of three Mass Audubon laminate guides.
- Jonah Boardman, Drumlin Farm
- Shoshana Boardman, Drumlin Farm
- Miriam Boardman, Drumlin Farm
- Holden Brew, Felix Neck
- Henri Engstrom, Gordon’s Gaggle
- Oliver Hecht, Drumlin Farm
- Izzy Houseman, Gordon’s Gaggle
- Michael Perkins, Drumlin Farm
- Benjamin Peters, Ipswich River
- Brooke Sponzo, Joppa Flats
High Flyers BAT 2013 Award
For any fundraiser who raised $500 or more will receive an invitation to attend 1 of 2 birding outings with the President of Mass Audubon and a star staff birder.
Ellen Adams , Biff Atwater, Mari Badger, Mary Grace Barber, Suzan Bellincampi, Bruce Black, Susie Bowman, Julie Brandlen, Holden Brew , LeBaron Briggs, Mary Brogan, Dan Cannata, Dick Chute, Susan Coe, Carol Decker, Florence Di Tirro, Pat Donohoe, Jean Dorcas, Janet Drohan, Darcy Duke, Chris Eaton, Chris Engstrom, Henri Engstrom, Ryan Evans, Gail Fenton, Freed /Boardman Family, Christy Foote-Smith, Dan Fournier, Nora Frank, Susan Garland, Becky Gilles, Bill Gette, Steve Grinley, Rita Grossman, Barbara Guay, Ida Guirinas, Ann Gurka, Melissa Hansen, Olive Hecht, Elizabeth Heide, Tara Henrichon, Bobbie Hodson, Russ Holden, Izzy Houseman, Mary Howard, Jess Huddy , Phillip Hunsaker, Lisa Hutchings, Ian Ives, Robin Joyce, Deb Kearns , Josey Kirkland, Elissa Landre, Dave Larson, Bob Lawson, Chris Leahy, Pat Loranger, David Ludlow, Sue MacCallum, Henry Mauer, Bob Mayer, Ellen McBride, Keelin Miller, Cathy Minkiewicz, Charlie Nims, Kylee Noga, Joanne Normandin, Michael Pappone, Jackie Pascucci, Michael Perkins, Fran Perler, Jeff Peters, Wayne Petersen, Tia Pinney, Linda Pivacek, Gina Purtell, Karen O'Neill, Dianna Queheillat, Bette Robo, Peggy Sagan, Joe Scott, Kathy Seymour, Lynn Southey, Ava Steenstrup , Sandy Sutherland, Alicia Svenson, Ann Vaughn, Angela Walsh, Joan Walsh, Stuart Watson, Noel Weatherbee, Dave Weaver, Strickland Wheelock, Mary Wolf, Lauretta Woods, Roger Wrubel, Henrietta Yelle, Julia Yoshida
Final Results by Team
Thank you to everyone for helping to make Bird-a-thon 2013 such a success.