Jobs at Felix Neck
Mass Audubon offers a work environment that is challenging, yet flexible. Our compensation and benefits program is competitive, including a 403(b) plan and generous paid time off. Every inquiry will be treated confidentially. Mass Audubon is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Part Time Property Worker
Mass Audubon is looking for a dedicated Property Worker with a passion for the environment. The Part Time Property Worker works closely with the Property Manager on a variety of projects that are essential to the mission of Mass Audubon, including trail, boundary, and building maintenance, monitoring land, maintaining equipment, assisting volunteers, implementing Mass Audubon policies, monitoring visitor use, controlling invasive species, and maintaining cooperative relationships with neighbors, community partners, and the general public. The Property Worker ensures that Mass Audubon and its sanctuaries are inclusive and welcoming so more people have access and can connect with the joys of nature.
- Work with Mass Audubon staff and volunteers to perform property maintenance tasks that may include: clearing and maintaining trails, repairing boardwalks and picnic tables, controlling invasive species, maintaining signage, marking boundaries, mowing, building maintenance and cleaning, and program set up.
- Work with Property Manager to develop weekly and monthly property maintenance work plans to be completed independently.
- Interact with and provide information for members, visitors, and guests.
- Address issues as they arise on wildlife sanctuaries (trespass, unauthorized ATV and bike use, etc.).
- Assist with maintenance of basic equipment such as hand and power tools, and chainsaws, etc.
- Assist with special projects as needed.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to perform physical work, sometimes under adverse conditions.
- Ability to hike over rough terrain for extended periods of time, lift and carry up to 40 pounds, and be willing to work outdoors sometimes in foul weather.
- Ability to communicate effectively in person and in writing with a wide variety of people, including wildlife sanctuary neighbors, private landowners, partners, and volunteers.
- Ability to relate to a diverse range of people and exercise cultural competence and inclusion.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Basic maintenance skills: safety protocols, tool and equipment use, maintenance, and storage.
- Desirable qualifications include: carpentry skills, tractor experience, chainsaw training, First Aid, valid Massachusetts pesticide applicator license.
- Valid driver’s license and completion of a driver record check.
- Successful candidates must pass a background records check (CORI and SORI).
- BIPOC candidates and people of all abilities encouraged to apply.
Compensation and Benefits
Candidate must be available year-round. Staff is paid for only the scheduled hours worked.
How to Apply
Please send resume and cover letter to
P.O. Box 494
Vineyard Haven, MA 02568