Jobs at Boston Nature Center
Mass Audubon offers a work environment that is challenging, yet flexible. Our compensation and benefits program is competitive, including a 403(b) plan and generous paid time off.
Every inquiry will be treated confidentially. Mass Audubon is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Per Diem Teacher Naturalist I
Are you passionate about nature and science? Would you like to share that passion with others in inspiring and interactive ways? The Boston Nature Center is hiring capable, enthusiastic educators to serve as a natural science resource for the public and visiting school groups in accordance with the Mass Audubon’s goals and objectives. Join a dynamic, creative team of staff in teaching environmental and science programs to diverse audiences. Work together to plan, prepare and conduct age-appropriate lessons and hands-on activities. Lead hikes, science experiments, nature games and activities, such as insect studies and animal tracking. Types of responsibilities include teaching school field trips, leading public programs, and helping with outreach programs.
Schedule: This is a per diem staff position. Depending on availability of programs, work shifts will be 4 or 8 hours long. Hours are available during the week and during the weekend.
- Must have BA or BS or working towards one, preferably in environmental education, environmental studies, biology or earth science.
- Previous experience as an educator preferred, along with familiarity with inquiry-based learning.
- Must be able to develop curricula aligned to city and state standards.
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills and ability to work cooperatively and independently, along with demonstrated interpersonal skills and commitment to helping others grow in understanding of and concern for the environment.
- Must have demonstrated ability to promote, embrace, and respect ethnic, cultural, and linguistic diversity and to accommodate physical and intellectual disabilities.
- Fluency in English/Spanish (or other language) desirable.
- Must be able to lift 40 pounds and lead walks on trails.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and current CPR/first aid certifications.
- Must successfully pass background screening (CORI/SORI)
Compensation and Benefits
$15-18/hr. depending on experience
Greater Boston residents are strongly encouraged to apply. Every inquiry will be treated confidentially.
How to Apply
Send résumé and cover letter to: