About Boston Nature Center
Located just outside of downtown Boston, on the former grounds of the Boston State Hospital, the Boston Nature Center (BNC) is a community-based urban sanctuary.
Trails and boardwalks traverse meadows and wetlands, home to over 150 species of birds, 40 species of butterflies, and more than 350 species of plants. Year-round programs help foster an appreciation for nature and the environment.
→ For your safety and to avoid conflicts with wildlife, please follow our sanctuary guidelines during your visit.
500 Walk Hill Street, Mattapan, MA 02126
Get directions or contact us >
- Nature Center: Closed
- Restrooms: Available on Saturdays & Sundays, 10:00 am–4:00 pm (face mask required while indoors)
- Trails: Open every day from dawn to dusk
Free, donations appreciated
As a way to give even more people access to nature and to thank active military for their service, we are proud to offer:
EBT Participants: Free for up to 4 people when you show your EBT card
ConnectorCare Card to Culture Participants: Free for up to 4 people when you show your ConnectorCare card
Wonderfund Access: Free for up to 4 people when you show your Wonderfund card
Active-Duty Military: Free for up to 5 people with a valid military ID card
- Universally Accessible Nature Center
- Universally Accessible Restrooms
- Universally Accessible Trail
- Picnic Area
- Electric Vehicle Charging Station
2 miles (universally accessible: 1 mile) Details >
- Public programs offered at affordable rates through sliding scale and low-cost fees.
- George Robert White Environmental Conservation Center, the first “green” municipal building in Boston, exhibits environmentally sustainable building design.
- The Nature Nook, a natural play area, engages children of all ages in discovering the natural world through free play.
- Boston Area Beekeepers Association apiary, Boston Food Forest Coalition's edible forest, Clark-Cooper Community Gardens, and the Mattapan Ecovation Center.
Learn more about Mass Audubon’s Boston Nature Center and its urban environmental education programs