Breeding Bird Atlas 2 Reading The Accounts
This Breeding Bird Atlas 2 contains a summary of the distribution of breeding birds in Massachusetts from 2007 to 2011, as well as a comparison of those results with the first Massachustts Breeding Bird Atlas, which was undertaken from 1974 to 1979. The species are ordered in the book using the Fifty-Third Supplement (2012) to the American Orntihologists' Union Checklist of North American Birds, 7th Edition (1998).
Each species account consists of several parts.
- Map of the bird’s Atlas 1 distribution
- Map of its Atlas 2 distribution
- Map showing the statewide changes between the Atlases
- Status and trend designation, driven by the results of the Atlas 2 data, and a conservation statement if the species is declining
- Paragraph of the historic status of the species in the Commonwealth
- Two paragraphs discussing the status of the species in each Atlas, and a discussion of the change of the species distribution
- Notes, including results from the Breeding Bird Survey when those results are statistically significant either in the state or regionally
- Supporting tables and graphs from the Atlas efforts, and from the Breeding Bird Survey