Mass Audubon's Climate Champions Program
Mass Audubon is seeking energetic and dedicated volunteers to join our dynamic Climate Champions team.
Become a Champion
Sign up to advocate for nature and climate.
Interested in finding more ways to advocate for nature and climate? Climate Champions meet and work with other volunteers and our policy experts to advocate for town and state policies which:
- help achieve the state’s goal to reach net zero carbon emissions by 2050 and
- reverse negative health impacts of climate change for environmental justice communities.
Volunteers will gain the knowledge, skills, inspiration, and connections needed to make change, together.
About the Program
Climate Champions is a grassroots effort to advocate for nature-based climate solutions such as habitat restoration and protection. The Climate Champions program creates a grassroots network of like-minded individuals who align with and advocate for Mass Audubon’s climate policy goals.
These goals include implementing strong climate mitigation policies at the local and state levels, enhancing the resilience of our communities and habitats to climate and other threats, and making sure that everyone has access to nature and climate resilience in their homes and communities.
Climate Champion volunteers will be organized into groups, which will plan and implement engagement on behalf of Mass Audubon’s state-level legislative priorities with their local legislative representatives and local climate action in their own towns and cities.
Advocates will receive ongoing support from Mass Audubon staff, including state policy and campaign briefings, training, and skill-building exercises in grassroots advocacy. This is a unique opportunity to advocate collectively for town and state level, climate policy.
The Climate Champions volunteer program is for voting-aged adults 18+ yrs. old and up. Youth interested in climate advocacy are encouraged join Mass Audubon's Youth Climate Leadership Program (YCLP), a youth-led, climate action immersion program. Youth under 18 years old please follow this link to join Mass Audubon's Youth Climate Leadership Program (YCLP).
What You Will Do
Climate Champions will volunteer their time each month according to their availability and Mass Audubon’s advocacy opportunities. At minimum, the time commitment will range 3-10 hours a month.
- Participate in trainings on grassroots advocacy and Mass Audubon’s advocacy strategy and state-level, climate policy goals
- Help identify connections with decision-makers and understand our influence
- Attend regional Climate Champion meetings to plan and implement strategies to engage on Mass Audubon’s legislative priorities with local legislative representatives
- Participate in monthly advocacy action calls to join in a monthly statewide action, and for updates on Mass Audubon’s climate policy goals and statewide advocacy events
- Participate in constituent meetings and periodic engagements with local legislative representatives to have your voices heard on these climate issues
- Optional: Participate in occasional in-person Boston Lobby Day events
What You Will Need
- A passion for climate action!
- A desire to make change on climate policies and funding at the state and local level
- A commitment to support Mass Audubon and collaborate with other Climate Champions
- An interest in learning about Massachusetts state environmental policy and laws
- Ability to organize and/or attend meetings with legislators and local public officials
- Willingness to focus on Mass Audubon’s legislative priorities and climate action goals
What You Will Gain
- Hope for our climate! As you work with a dedicated team of climate activists to successfully pass climate legislation
- Gain new skills by participating in our advocacy training programs
- Volunteer service credit for students with school service requirements
- Academic credit available for college students if your institution’s requirements are met
- If needed, a letter of recommendation from a highly-respected organization in environmental and conservation networks
- Opportunities to meet and work with partner climate, nature and environmental justice organizations
Become a Climate Champion
More Ways to Get Involved
Mass Audubon’s Youth Climate Leadership Program is a youth-led, action-oriented climate immersion initiative aimed at creating a place for learning, conversation, networking, and climate solutions.
$1 Billion for Nature
Mass Audubon's $1 Billion for Nature & Climate advocacy campaign will drive investments in nature by using our collective power and voice.
Climate Champions is a Mass Audubon grassroots volunteer program to advocate for policies that advance nature-based climate solutions. With training from policy experts, Climate Champions advocate for local and state policies that help achieve the state’s goal to reach net-zero carbon emissions by 2050 and reverse negative health impacts of climate change for Environmental Justice communities. […]
This spring, we launched Climate Champions, a grassroots network of volunteers working together to speak with one collective, powerful voice. With training from policy experts, Climate Champions help advocate for town and state policies that help achieve the state’s goal to reach net zero carbon emissions by 2050 and reverse negative health impacts of climate change […]