The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA )describes people who are ‘climate literate’ as citizens who:
- Understand the essential principles of all aspects of the Earth system governing climate patterns;
- Know how to gather information about climate and weather, and how to distinguish credible from non-credible scientific sources on the subject;
- Understand the influence of climate and weather on human society as well as the influence of human society on climate and weather patterns;
- Can communicate about climate and climate change in a meaningful way; and
- Can make scientifically informed and responsible personal decisions.