Adaptation Management Plan
An Act providing for the establishment of a Comprehensive Adaptation Management Plan in response to climate change (CAMP)
Sponsored by Senator Marc Pacheco (D-Taunton) and Representative Frank Smizik (D-Brookline)
This legislation prepares Massachusetts for the impacts of climate change by identifying where we are most vulnerable and taking measures to protect public health, public safety, and the economy.
In Massachusetts, climate change is endangering our economy, public health and safety, and critical infrastructure. We must take action now to implement a range of strategies, policies, and measures that will reduce our vulnerability to current climate variability and future climate change. Massachusetts needs a comprehensive plan to address the multiple threats of climate change. The future of the Commonwealth will be defined by our ability to recover from or adjust to the effects of climate change, and by how well we prepare to meet the challenges that lie ahead.
A Comprehensive Adaptation Management Plan would:
- Establish and commit to sound management practices which take in to account existing natural, built, and economic characteristics of the Commonwealth’s most vulnerable areas and human populations.
- Compile data on existing and projected sea level rise using best available science.
- Produce a report documenting the preparedness and vulnerabilities in the Commonwealth’s emergency response, energy, transportation, communications, health, and other systems.
- Establish an interagency advisory committee supported by technical subcommittees and staff to carry out the plan.
- Establish grant program to provide financial assistance to regional planning agencies for the development and implementation of CAMP, including vulnerability assessment and adaptation strategy development.
- Establish a coastal buyback program to acquire by voluntary purchase properties repeatedly damaged by severe weather, which intersect with ecological services with high potential for buffering inland areas against wind and storm surge.