Impact of Advocacy
Support Our Advocacy Work
From defending endangered species to mitigating climate change impacts, one of the most effective ways to protect the nature of Massachusetts is through sound environmental policy. Mass Audubon’s Advocacy Department works with other conservation organizations, the Governor’s office, legislators, and citizen groups to help shape and strengthen environmental laws and regulations at the state, federal and local levels of government.
Accomplishments in FY 2017 include, but are not limited to:
- Met with members of the Massachusetts Congressional delegation on our strategy for tackling damaging environmental policies. Advocacy Director Jack Clarke also engaged with hundreds of Mass Audubon members and partners around the state on these efforts.
- Lobbied for our priority legislation that would better codify Massachusetts for climate change preparedness. This legislation will provide a long-term statutory requirement to complement the Executive Order passed by Governor Baker directing state agencies to take action on adaptation.
- Continued to advocate for 1% of the state’s operating budget to go to environmental programs, ultimately securing a commitment from Governor Baker to meet this goal by the end of his term.
- Continued to grow our 50-member Massachusetts Climate Change Adaptation Coalition, working to ensure that Massachusetts’ residents and landscapes are resilient in the face of climate change impacts. Mass Audubon serves as founding co-chair.
- Through the Shaping the Future of Your Community program we conducted more than 35 workshops and reached over 800 individuals. We also provided in-depth technical assistance for cities and towns in need of sustainable development guidance.
- Continued to serve as a founding member of the Community Preservation Act Coalition Steering Committee, working with 172 communities to protect open space, provide for affordable housing, and preserve historic resources in the Commonwealth.
Mass Audubon’s Advocacy Director Jack Clarke was appointed to or continued to serve on the following groups:
- Massachusetts Ocean Management Advisory Commission as the gubernatorial appointee and chairman.
- Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection’s Fees and Policy Advisory Group
- Massachusetts Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs’ Global Warming Solutions Act Implementation Advisory Committee, working for the reduction of greenhouse gas emissions.