Published on September 11, 2014

St. Botolph Club Exhibited Works from the Mass Audubon Collection

Solitary Bird, Milton Avery, 1953, watercolor on paper. Mass Audubon Collection, bequest of Robert L. French, 2009.
Solitary Bird, Milton Avery, 1953, watercolor on paper. Mass Audubon Collection, bequest of Robert L. French, 2009.

Fifty artworks from the Mass Audubon collection were on display at the St. Botolph Club in the Not Just for the Birds exhibition during the month of September in 2014. The artworks on view featured the very best of Mass Audubon's eclectic and extraordinary collection.

From its founding in 1896, Mass Audubon has been inextricably linked with art. Gifts and bequests of art flowed to the fledgling organization from its inception. In early years, the collection’s core was art by James Audubon, including hand-colored engravings from his Birds of America. Over time its scope expand­ed to include paintings, sculpture, and works on paper by some of the most acclaimed bird artists of Europe and America: Louis Agassiz Fuertes, Frank W. Benson, Robert Verity Clem, and Lars Jonsson, among others. The col­lection also came to include wood carvings and decoys, and works by well known art­ists not usually associ­ated with birds, such as Milton Avery, Leonard Baskin and Andy Warhol. 

The St. Botolph Club is located at 199 Commonwealth Avenue, Boston, MA, 02116.