Wildlife Care Technician
Mass Audubon is looking for an energetic, team-oriented, part-time Wildlife Care Technician to perform the day-to-day care for non-releasable wildlife at Drumlin Farm, with its diverse collection of exhibit and program animals consisting of mammals, birds (including raptors), amphibians, and reptiles. Position responsibilities include feeding and diet preparation, maintaining and cleaning of animal enclosures, behavioral observation, record keeping, exhibit maintenance, and providing environmental enrichment.
- Care for wildlife:
- feed approved diets;
- clean and disinfect cages and enclosures;
- assist with response to medical needs of wildlife and consult with veterinarians as needed;
- transport animals;
- create and provide daily animal enrichment;
- perform lab work as needed
- assist in socializing and conditioning animals for use in programs.
- Support compliance with all applicable state and federal permits relating to the possession of program and display animals.
- Train and supervise volunteers and interns.
- Participate in education programs on caring for wildlife in captivity and wildlife rehabilitation, including developing curriculum, leading tours, and answering questions from the public.
- Perform various building, exhibit, and grounds maintenance projects required to support the Wildlife Care unit.
- Perform additional related duties as requested.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- High school diploma minimum, preferred college degree in Biology, Zoology, Ecology, Veterinary Technician, Wildlife biology, or a related field.
- Prior animal care experience required, with demonstration of a sincere passion for working with captive wildlife.
- Must be responsible and self-driven with the ability to work independently and as a team player.
- Ability to communicate easily with staff and the public.
- Ability to work in a physically demanding, fast-paced work environment in all types of terrain and in all weather conditions.
- Ability to lift and haul up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to relate to a diverse range of people and exercise cultural competence and inclusion.
- Requires successful completion of a CORI and SORI.
- A current rabies vaccination is required.
Compensation and Benefits
Starting at $14.25 per hour, commensurate with experience.
The work schedule for this position is Sundays and Mondays (full days, 16 hours/week)
- may be asked to work additional hours during peak periods, holidays, or special events
Mass Audubon embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are dedicated to forming a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. People of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Mass Audubon requires all employees to be fully vaccinated for Covid-19. In addition, a successful completion of a CORI and SORI Background Check and a Motor Vehicle Record (if applicable) is required.
How to Apply
Please send letter of interest and resume to: