Wildlife Care Technician
Mass Audubon is looking for an energetic, team-oriented Wildlife Care Technician to perform the day-to-day care for non-releasable wildlife including feeding, maintaining and cleaning the animals, diet preparation, behavioral observation, record keeping, exhibit maintenance and providing environmental enrichment. Trailside animal collection contains mammals, birds (including raptors), amphibians, reptiles, and fish.
- Care for non-releasable wildlife by providing daily feeding and clean of animal enclosures and exhibits.
- Consult with veterinarians as needed and administer vaccines, medication, and maintain health records for animal collection.
- Transport animals for veterinary visits or programs as needed.
- Trim beaks, talons, and nails for animal collection.
- Respond to medical emergencies.
- Assist in socializing and conditioning animals for use in programs.
- Create and provide daily animal enrichment.
- Assist in animal training for educational program use and veterinary care.
- Assist with maintaining inventory for wildlife care including maintain food supplies, supplements, and other necessary supplies for cleaning, cage and building upkeep.
- Participate in special events and education programs on caring for wildlife in captivity and wildlife rehabilitation, including leading tours.
- Assist in training education staff and volunteers on proper handling and care of animals in programs.
- Answer questions and educate the public about disabled, nuisance, and/or young animals and refer people to local licensed wildlife rehabilitator as appropriate.
- Assist in developing interpretive materials to enhance wildlife displays.
- Perform various building, exhibit and grounds maintenance projects required to support the Wildlife Care unit.
- Perform additional related duties as requested.
- Must be at least 18 years of age. Associates degree or equivalent experience a plus.
- Prior animal care experience preferred.
- Must be responsible and self-driven with the ability to work independently and as a team player.
- Ability to work in a physically demanding, fast-paced work environment in all types of terrain and in all weather conditions.
- Ability to lift and haul up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to relate to a diverse range of people and exercise cultural competence and inclusion.
- Requires successful completion of a CORI and SORI.
Compensation and Benefits
$15.75 per hour
The work schedule is Thursday through Monday.
We kindly request that you do not call to inquire about the status of your application. Those candidates chosen for interviews will be contacted.
How to Apply
Please include cover letter, resume, and separate page containing contact information of two professional references. When applying by e-mail, please use “Wildlife Care Technician” for subject line and send to: