Visitor Services / Administrative Assistant
About Mass Audubon
Mass Audubon is the largest nature-based conservation organization in New England. Founded in 1896 by two women who fought for the protection of birds, Mass Audubon carries on their legacy by focusing on the greatest challenges facing the environment today: the loss of biodiversity, inequitable access to nature, and climate change. With the help of our 140,000 members and supporters, we protect wildlife, conserve and restore resilient land, advocate for impactful environmental policies, offer nationally recognized education programs for adults and children, and provide endless opportunities to experience the outdoors at our wildlife sanctuaries. Explore, find inspiration, and take action at www.massaudubon.org.
About This Position
Mass Audubon is looking for an energetic, organized, team-oriented Visitor Services Administrative Assistant to perform the day-to-day duties of visitor engagement and important functions related to visitor service operations. The Visitor Services / Admin Assistant is specifically responsible for providing excellent customer service while greeting, providing orientation to the sanctuary, and introducing visitors to the many benefits of Mass Audubon membership. The Visitor Services / Admin Assistant has an important and integral role as a welcoming, customer-oriented ambassador of Mass Audubon properties, programs, and mission.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Greet and provide information to members, visitors, and guests regarding visitor center, gallery, sanctuary, trails, programs, and Mass Audubon in general.
- Answer phone calls/monitor voice mails and provide information assistance when able or forward request to appropriate staff.
- Update visitor signage, brochures and bulletin board information.
- Understand and promote membership opportunities.
- Use a cash register, credit card machine and/or point of sale system for sales and admissions.
- Handle opening and closing procedures including end-of-day register sales tallying.
- Monitor radio and be prepared to serve as primary communication point-of-contact in case of emergency per standing policies and procedures.
- Work with Property staff to monitor trail conditions.
- Attend trainings and meetings when requested.
- May occasionally be asked to cover additional shifts at this or other sanctuaries within the region.
- Other duties as may be requested.
At Mass Audubon, our highest priority is finding the best candidate for the job. Research has shown that people of color and women are less likely to apply for jobs if they don't believe they meet every one of the qualifications described in a job description. We encourage you to apply, even if you don't believe you meet every one of our described qualifications or you have a less traditional background. We are looking for applicants with the following qualifications:
- Must be at least 18 years of age. Associates degree or equivalent experience a plus.
- Customer Service/Visitor Service experience preferred.
- Excellent people skills and enthusiasm for a team working environment.
- Organized with strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong desire to achieve results in meeting sales goals and demonstrated ability to effectively promote goods or services.
- Office skills including computer, copier, scanning, and phone system.
- Experience with varied computer software programs (Office 365, Outlook, Word, Excel).
- A demonstrated ability to work well with other staff, volunteers, and community representatives as well as independently when necessary.
- CPR/First Aid Certification or willingness to get certification.
- Ability to relate to a diverse range of people and exercise cultural competence and inclusion.
Nice to Haves:
- Genuine understanding of and commitment to Mass Audubon’s mission and values.
- Formal training or other experience in either the natural sciences or education.
- Prior familiarity with Habitat and/or other Mass Audubon Sanctuaries.
- Appreciation for/professional experience in the visual arts, especially as works displayed in the gallery at Habitat may convey our connection to the natural environment.
Compensation & Benefits
This position’s base salary range is $16.75 - $18.00 per hour; actual salary will reflect level of experience and qualifications relative to position requirements.
This is a year-round position and earns vacation time as well as receives paid holidays.
Typically 14-18 hours/week depending on season. Availability to work a regular Tuesday/Thursday schedule is preferred, but alternatives may be considered for an otherwise qualified candidate.
Employees must successfully complete a CORI and SORI Background Check and a Motor Vehicle Record (if applicable) is required.
Mass Audubon requires that all staff, regardless of their work location, disclose their vaccination status. Proof of vaccination status will be required immediately upon hire. This should also include a booster shot if it has been 5 months since you were initially vaccinated.
Mass Audubon's Commitment To Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, & Justice
Mass Audubon's mission is to "protect the nature of Massachusetts for people and for wildlife" by building a strong coalition of employees, volunteers, and community members. We recognize that the environmental movement and field of conservation have been affected by societal systems that have limited opportunity and access for many people. As a result, Mass Audubon is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and applicants. We are engaged in an ongoing process of organizational assessment and change, designed to remove barriers and create a workplace where all forms of diversity are recognized and valued.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Mass Audubon is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and applicants. Mass Audubon prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
How To Apply
Please respond by email with cover letter and resume attached to:.