Vice President of Philanthropy
Mass Audubon seeks a high achieving Vice President of Philanthropy to partner with the new President and take their philanthropy program to its next level.
Reporting to David O’Neill, President of Mass Audubon, the Vice President of Philanthropy (VPP) will oversee and manage four key fundraising units: individual giving, membership and annual fund, foundations and government support, and development services. In addition, the VPP will play the lead role in preparing the organization for the next capital campaign. The VPP will also be a primary contributor to setting the strategy of the organization as a member of the Executive Management Team.
Working at both the strategic and tactical level, the VPP will use their skills and experience to influence higher levels of giving, manage a robust portfolio of donors, offer strong professional development to a motivated team, and develop metrics and best practices that will guide Mass Audubon’s fundraising work. They will be inspired by the work of the wildlife, sanctuary, and program staff, at the same time they engage senior leadership and governance members in donor relationships.
One key aspect of this role will be shaping and implementing a major shift from a broadly decentralized model of fundraising to a highly centralized program that amplifies a statewide agenda, broadens the impact of donor support, and maximizes the philanthropic potential of Mass Audubon.
The VPP will be driving change as a leader for a well-established, highly-regarded organization with a President that is a very engaged and successful fundraiser, a passionately committed and deeply knowledgeable Board of Directors, and vast network of volunteers.
- Partner with the President and Board in taking Mass Audubon’s philanthropy program to markedly new levels, particularly in the area of individual major gifts.
- Design and implement a comprehensive fundraising plan that adapts to and supports the goals of Mass Audubon’s five-year Action Agenda.
- Provide leadership for all facets of the development team including planning, goal setting, implementation strategies, staff investments and ROI, achievement and performance measures, and volunteer engagement.
- Serve as a strategy partner and member of Mass Audubon’s senior leadership team.
- Participate at meetings of the Board of Directors and select Board committees to provide advice and counsel, and report on development related issues and operations. Work closely with President and Board Members on development activities and Board recruitment and engagement.
- Lead a change process for fundraising that instills a donorcentric perspective, optimizes capacity, and aligns closely to organizational priorities and the Action Agenda.
- Manage top philanthropic relationships via a portfolio of approximately 50 leading individual and institutional donors and prospects.
- Oversee and manage all development functions via development team leaders and through active engagement, including major and planned gifts, institutional gifts, annual giving and direct mail, membership, events, donor relations, and development services.
- Activate plans to double operating support of the organization over the next five years.
- At the right time, prepare Mass Audubon for its next campaign (likely in support of the Action Agenda).
Management and Mentorship
- Continually assess fundraising program and evaluate individual, team and department performance to ensure optimal achievement of philanthropic capacity for Mass Audubon.
- Develop strong and collaborative working relationships with the senior leadership of Mass Audubon’s Hub and other programming to understand the organization’s mission and work, and effectively engage colleagues, donors, and the public.
- Oversee the development of a best practice development infrastructure, including, systems, policies, and procedures to ensure effectiveness and accountability across the development department.
- Supervise 4 direct reports (Senior Director of Individual Giving, Director of Membership & Annual Giving, Director of Foundations & Government Grants, and Senior Director of Development Services) and have overall responsibility for a 30-person (approximately) development team.
- Prepare and oversee the management of the annual Development budget.
- Create strategies and opportunities to attract talented professionals to join a growth-oriented development team and provide growth paths for existing talent.
- Coach, mentor and motivate development team members, and draw upon their potential talent, individually and collaboratively (including their professional training and development).
- Understand and ensure compliance with philanthropic giving policies and regulations and ensure that fundraising is conducted with the highest level of ethical standards.
- Enhance operational efficiency via information management, a robust prospect management practice, and other software options. (Mass Audubon’s CRM is ROI Solutions.)
- Strong passion and enthusiasm for nature, wildlife, and land protection, conservation and climate change, and all aspects of Mass Audubon’s mission and work.
- 15+ years of progressive planning and management of complex development programs, including a minimum of 10 years management experience.
- Demonstrated success building philanthropic relationships and securing 6 and 7-figure gifts from individual and institutional donors.
- Strong ability to motivate, unify, and influence staff practice and activity, including holding staff accountable to high standards of performance and achievement.
- Demonstrated ability to establish solid working relationships with high level volunteers and senior staff.
- Knowledge and appreciation of the key roles of membership, annual giving, and planned gifts.
- Leadership experience in the design and successful execution of capital campaigns.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills.
- Familiarity with the Massachusetts philanthropic community strongly preferred.
- Experience in a similar mission-based organization a plus.
For more information about Development Guild DDI, please visit www.developmentguild.com
For the full job posting, please visit https://www.developmentguild.com/current-searches/
How to Apply
Please email your cover letter and resume in confidence to: