Vice President of Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Justice
Mass Audubon adopted its Action Agenda in February, setting the direction and priorities for the organization over the next five years. A cornerstone of the plan is the organization’s commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice (DEIJ), and one of its three overarching goals is to create inclusive and equitable access to nature for everyone.
In order to advance our organization-wide DEIJ goals, Mass Audubon has created a new executive level position, Vice President for Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Justice. This position will report to the President and serve on the Executive Leadership Team.
The Vice President for DEIJ will be responsible for updating and advancing the organization’s DEIJ strategy to ensure we are creating a positive, inclusive, and equitable work environment and establishing greater access to nature for all. As part of this work, the VP will lead corporate culture change initiatives, including staff and management training and leadership development programs, support the DEIJ Board of Director’s Committee, lead the DEIJ Staff Leadership Team, and implement programs such as the Mass Audubon Environmental Fellows Program.
- Shape, lead, and advance Mass Audubon’s DEIJ strategy through the management of board and staff committees and in partnership with the senior leadership.
- Ensure the organization and senior leadership are held accountable for implementing DEIJ priorities.
- Ensure the DEIJ strategy is integrated with the Action Agenda and embeds inclusion and equity into our external programs and partnerships.
- Lead the development of management training, leadership development, and career pathway programs, ensuring team members have growth opportunities and managers are accountable for equitable and inclusive management.
- Shape and lead the Mass Audubon Environmental Fellows Program.
- Identify and partner with Human Resources to apply best recruitment, onboarding, and retention processes.
- Understand Mass Audubon’s context, barriers, and strengths as it relates to executing our DEIJ strategy.
- Assist the development and program teams in building philanthropic support for Mass Audubon’s DEIJ priorities.
- Support implementation of the Access for All standards at Mass Audubon sanctuaries to ensure we are creating inclusive and welcoming places for everyone.
- Support public communications as it relates to DEIJ.
- Executive or leadership experience overseeing an organization’s programs, DEIJ functions, and/or a divisions/teams within an organization.
- Demonstrated ability to set the vision, strategy for, and implementation of DEIJ, or have similar experience for other priorities of an organization.
- Track record of working on or with executive leadership teams, and holding them accountable for setting and executing DEIJ priorities or other priorities of an organization.
- Experience in change management and deep culture change work.
- Demonstrated ability to understand, communicate, and represent the organization’s mission, values, and commitment to advancing DEIJ.
- Exhibits strong interpersonal skills, and experience growing the capacity of staff and managing with empathy.
- Ability to interact and engage with broad audiences at various levels—both internally and externally.
- A deep interest in mission driven, conservation impact, and environmental justice work.
Compensation and Benefits
This position’s annual salary range is $140,000 to $175,000, including full benefit package.
Mass Audubon embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are dedicated to forming a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. People of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
Please send resume and cover letter to: