TerraCorps Youth Education Coordinator
TerraCorps Youth Education Coordinator with Mass Audubon’s Metro South Hub and Museum of American Bird Art
Mass Audubon is seeking an individual to serve as a TerraCorps service member for the 2021-2022 service period with its Metro South Hub and Museum of American Bird Art. Youth Education Coordinators (YEC) build the long-term capacity of their Service Site by engaging youth in service learning, experiential education, and inquiry-based science and nature learning projects. They collaborate with schools, libraries, and youth groups on projects that connect young people to the natural world, improve science literacy, and encourage healthy lifestyles. By serving with youth in an outdoor learning environment, they reinforce the connection between people, nature, and community and foster an inclusive land stewardship ethic in future generations.
- Increase outreach to students, teachers, and families in the Greater Boston region and South Shore. The TerraCorps member will focus on increasing the access under-served communities have to nature and high-quality nature-based STEAM educational programs and Mass Audubon’s Science of Massachusetts Curriculum.
- Build organizational capacity by developing new programming and school partnerships for underserved communities. A major goal of this project will be increasing the capacity of our new programmatic space, The Nest: A nature maker space, design workshop, and art studio space. The TerraCorps member will responsible for developing at least two new nature-based STEAM education programs for The Nest at MABA. The TerraCorps member will provide outreach and deliver these programs to students in area schools.
- Market programs and outreach. This includes, but is not limited to, meeting with stakeholders and community partners, including principals, science and art coordinators, and teachers, to help them understand MABA’s mission and how we can help them meet their curricular goals. The TerraCorps member will also schedule, coordinate, and deliver programming to schools.
- Strong writing and verbal communication skills
- Able to serve both independently and as a member of a team
- Comfort navigating computer software programs (Comfort navigating computer software programs Microsoft Office suite, a plus to have experience with the Adobe Suite, especially Spark, InDesign, Lightroom, and Photoshop)
- Training and experience pertinent to the Youth Education Coordinator position and projects listed above
- Experience training and educating community members and volunteers
- Experience teaching or leading groups in the outdoors, preferably youth
- Experience with experiential education, service learning, and inquiry-based learning methods
- Experience with curriculum development and lesson planning
How to Apply
Member applications must be submitted to TerraCorps through their website. Do not send applications directly to Mass Audubon. Please view this position on TerraCorps’ website and apply through there.