Teen Adventure Trip Leader
Teen Adventure Trip Leader is a seasonal position beginning June 5th and ending August 25th. They facilitate groups of up to 8-10 teens on one or two week-long outdoor adventure trips in throughout the Northeast, both in the front- and backcountry. Two Trek Leaders on each trip work closely together to supervise participants and create a positive group environment where participants can learn, grow and develop leadership skills in an active outdoor setting. Trek leaders will lead 5-6 weeks of trips, spending the remaining time participating in staff training, trip planning, supporting trips, and working in program areas for overnight and family camps. Schedules will typically run two weeks of trips followed by one of week in camp. Trek leaders also offer support in other Wildwood teen programs.
- Ensure physical and emotional safety of trip participants (trekkers)
- Ensure trekkers’ basic needs (food, water, health, sleep) are met each day
- Supervise trekkers effectively at all times, even while on programs led by others
- Set appropriate limits and boundaries with trekkers
- Manage trekker behavior in a positive manner according to training
- Follow emergency procedures according to training
- Facilitate all aspects of daily life and trekkers’ development
- Ensure trekkers are physically and mentally prepared for the weather and activities
- In cooperation with the Trips Director plan varied and nutritious menus for trips
- Supervise safe and sanitary meal preparations
- Lead effective and engaging nightly debriefing activities/discussions
- Ensure trekkers are taking good care of themselves with adequate rest and hygiene
- Act as a positive role model for trekkers and fellow staff members
- Show positive tone and patience when communicating with trekkers
- Lead activities and experiences that contribute to the development of leadership skills and environmental literacy
- Communicate clearly and regularly with Wildwood
- Complete pre-trip planning and paperwork accurately and on-time.
- Communicate with the Wildwood Director/Teen Program Coordinator as scheduled via phone, email, text, or SPOT
- Discuss any concerns or difficulties with a supervisor
- Keep trip journals and logs recording pertinent information
- Create and submit an end-of-trip reports on each trek led
- Fill out and submit reports for any accidents or times when medical care is provided
- Lead safe, engaging outdoor activities
- Facilitate hiking, backpacking, biking, camping and other nature based activities with the group
- Arrive on time and fully prepared for all scheduled activities
- Supervise and support the group when on activities led by outfitters
- Adhere to minimum-impact camping ethics (Leave No Trace)
- Making topics engaging, fun and educational for participants
- Act as a full participant in the Wildwood community
- Abide by all Wildwood and Mass Audubon policies and procedures
- Strive to maintain a high level of personal health and wellness
- Maintain positive, professional relationships with co-workers
- Perform other duties as assigned while in camp
Applicants must have experience leading outdoors trips and experience working with teens. T
rek leaders must have a love of nature and be able to articulate it to participants, as well as a working level of environmental literacy.
Expertise in a natural science or nature-focused creative field a plus.
Strong back-country camping and hiking skills are necessary.
Experience either backpacking, biking, or paddling required. Experience rock climbing, and leading service projects are a plus.
Trek Leaders must be at least 20 years old, have a valid driver’s license and hold Wilderness First Aid and CPR certifications.
Additional compensation is available for lifeguard, water-safety, or paddling instructor certifications.
Must successfully pass background screening (CORI/SORI).
Compensation and Benefits
Salary paid biweekly, training and leadership development, housing and meals for the duration of employment, and other benefits. Salary for the season is $3780+ DOE.
How to Apply
Email and cover letter to: