The Systems Architect is responsible for designing, organizing, modifying, and supporting the company's computer systems. This individual ensures that hardware, operating systems, software systems, and related equipment are always functioning. Maintaining these systems, monitoring them, and issuing upgrades are all duties of the system architect. They are responsible for delivering superior help desk support to end-users, as well as functioning as tier-2 support for current IT Help Desk Staff.
The Systems Architect is a highly technical position in the IT department, and is responsible for the maintenance, support, and continued operation of IT resources (such as servers and networking equipment). This position also provides technical support to the Help Desk; assisting with trouble tickets that are beyond the scope or ability of the assigned technician. The Systems Architect role provides the day to day, hands-on technical support required for the continued, uninterrupted operation of the corporate infrastructure, as well as provides technical knowledge and advice to those members of the IT team involved in future capacity planning and IT strategy.
Systems Management (25%)
- Systems management consists of functions including (but not limited to): backing up and restoring data, reviewing event logs and proactively addressing issues, creating administrative scripts, creating and managing users and security groups, managing the Windows domain, managing network printers, monitoring local and cloud-based security events, monitoring server and network performance, applying security patches, resetting user passwords, safeguarding our systems from unauthorized access, accidental destruction of data, or unscheduled downtime.
Network Management (25%)
- Network management consists of functions including (but not limited to): monitoring computer addresses to ensure that all devices connecting to the network are available, reviewing logs for wired and wireless networks to ensure availability of services, monitoring firewalls for unauthorized access, setup and maintain VPN connections for users and between sites, preconfigure network equipment (switches, firewalls, wireless access points) for zero-touch deployment, identify bandwidth hogs and address to ensure availability of bandwidth for all users, configure, monitor, and manage DNS and DHCP services, monitor for viruses and zero-day exploits and contain them if located.
Help Desk Support (30%)
- Monitor the Help Desk queue and participate in resolving customer tickets. Provides experienced and educated support to 1st-level help desk analysts to assist them with tickets that they do not have the authority or experience to resolve. Maintain help desk ticketing system and review for customer satisfaction rates, speed of resolution, identify trouble areas based on patterns of tickets.
IT Resource Capacity Planning (10%)
- Monitor the existing server and network user loads to ensure that there are sufficient resources available to serve the needs of the Mass Audubon users; network bandwidth, disk space on file servers, available network addresses for wireless devices to connect, ensure load-balanced servers are working properly to protect against an outage, monitor power loads on backup UPS batteries. Plan and implement changes to ensure that these resources grow as Mass Audubon’s IT demands grow, so that user requests for services do not exceed IT supply. Create plans to increase services in a transparent fashion.
IT Architecture Design and Planning (10%)
- Utilize expertise and experience to develop creative and effective ideas for: expanding IT service delivery, ways to increase productivity or lower costs such as remote management of network equipment or MDM management of corporate-owned devices. Help to architect a unified IT infrastructure across all sites to share resources and limit exposure to risk and cost overruns.
- Bachelor (4-year) degree, with a technical major, such as engineering or computer science.
- Work experience in place of bachelor's degree (10 years as System Engineer or equivalent).
- Four to six years systems administration experience.
- Problem-solving skills.
- Technical and organized attitude.
- In-depth knowledge of computer systems, Microsoft Azure, and Microsoft Office 365.
- Ability to describe technical information in easy-to-understand terms.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
Compensation and Benefits
This position includes a full benefits package.
How to Apply
Please send your resume and cover letter to: