Shoots Garden Camp Leader – Moose Hill
Have fun this summer as you actively enrich the lives of children through hands-on activities, garden planning and work, cooking, games, and crafts. Harvest organic produce; explore our gardens, woods and pond edges; with campers ages 10 - 12. Your role is two-fold—first as a counselor who supervises the campers’ health and safety, promotes positive youth development and plays games, and second as an instructor who connects children to nature and gardening through hand-on learning activities. The camp provides you with goals as well as some activities for each weekly session. You create additional age-appropriate lessons including gardening, cooking, games, and crafts. Training includes nature study elements as well as teaching techniques. To discover more about our Shoots Garden Camp program check out our summer camp brochure at Moose Hill Brochure, and discover more about us on our website, Moose Hill Camp!
- Applicants must be at least 19 years of age; have experience working with and enjoy being with children;
- Ability to lead groups over rough terrain;
- Have strong communication skills;
- Must have the ability to design and implement garden-based activities including planting, compost, harvesting, cooking, games, and crafts;
- Preferred applicants are studying or have a degree in a life science or education and have knowledge of vegetable farming and cooking;
- Current certification in CPR and first aid is required (training opportunities are provided);
- Must pass a background records check (CORI and SORI).
Compensation and Benefits
Rate of Pay: $12.50-$12.75 per hour. Training is provided at $12.00/ hour.
Schedule: Monday – Friday, 42 hours a week. June 3 - June 14 is Staff Training and all new staff are expected to attend this training. Shoots Garden Camp runs from July 8 and finishes August 23 with an option to work until August 30, 2019 for the last week of camp. If there is interest there is the possibility to begin working as early as the start of camp on June 17.
How to Apply
Please email your resume and letter of interest to: