Senior Director Development Services
The Senior Director, Development Services will be responsible for strategically leading a team with five key function areas: 1) information and data services; 2) donor relations and stewardship; 3) prospect research and management; 4) gift coding, documentation and financial integrity; and 5) budget management. The leader of this team will provide forward-thinking ideas and solutions to support fundraising strategy and work; be analytical such that data and outcomes guide each team’s decision-making and work; ensure the maintenance of integrated, accurate and timely data and records; and develop new systems to enhance efficiency and peak performance for the development team.
This is a new position responsible for helping evolve fundraising practice – from a largely decentralized practice to a centralized, donor-centered effort working in close partnership with the Vice President of Philanthropy, the President, the regional Directors, the division Directors, the Chief Financial Officer/VP of Operations, and Controller, Director of Information Technology, as well as other members of the Philanthropy Division. The Senior Director, therefore, must bring vision, creativity, best practices, and a healthy degree of nimbleness and flexibility to this opportunity.
The Senior Director, Development Services should be curious, detail-oriented and enthralled with the seeking of solutions. The Senior Director will lead a growing team as Mass Audubon’s new Action Agenda plan takes hold and philanthropic revenue grows. The Senior Director will be responsible for partnering with each of the five functional areas/teams noted above, managing a growing development Services team, and participating actively and collaboratively across all development teams and as a member of the leadership team.
- Direct management of Development Services staff, including day-to-day oversight, performance evaluation, and learning agendas to ensure professional growth.
- Ensure creative and strong strategy and performance for each functional area: information and data; donor relations and stewardship; prospect research and management; gift processing and financial integrity; and office management – participating as an active partner in each.
- Participate in designing and then monitoring and managing the development team budget and other office management considerations (e.g., technology, calendar, team meetings, etc.)
- Create where needed and maintain policies and procedures for the development team including areas such as acknowledgements, performance/activity monitoring, counting and crediting practices, etc.
- Maximize Mass Audubon’s CRM, ROI, as a tool providing utility and efficiency for all, particularly gift officers; and for delivering timely, accurate and useful information throughout the organization.
- Facilitate strong relationship between development and finance, and development and human resources in carrying out the work of the development team.
- 10+ years working with various aspects of development services function areas, leading and managing each over the years.
- Strong management of direct reports and teams.
- Excellent budget management skills.
- Demonstrable achievement in designing and delivering data in various forms to enhance a development department’s functionality, and to support decisions across the organization; as well as understanding and working with data between systems.
- Evidence of adeptness with fundraising CRMs, ROI a plus.
- Understand and ensure compliance with philanthropic giving policies and regulations and ensure that fundraising is conducted with the highest level of ethical standards.
- Possess the highest level of integrity, donor confidentiality and discretion with sensitive information, tasks and relationships.
- Exposure to membership organizations and membership programs also a plus.
- Team player with a can-do attitude with a commitment to and enthusiasm for Mass Audubon’s mission.
Compensation and Benefits
Competitive salary commensurate with experience; includes full benefit package.
How to Apply
Please send resume and cover letter to: