We are seeking to add a full-time Senior Accountant to our Financial Operations team. The Senior Accountant reports to the Controller/Budget Manager. This position will process assist with audits, tax filings, and financial reconciliation and monthly close process. Success in this position will require attention to detail, organization and ability to effectively communicate and work as a team member with accounting personnel, operations and management.
- Assist the Controller with the preparation for the annual audit. Maintain and prepare the necessary work papers and schedules in advance of the audit process. Liaise with the auditors as needed. Review drafts of financial statements, posing questions and suggesting changes as necessary. Meet with the Audit Committee of the Board to review the audit, management letter, and tax returns.
- Take the lead on the annual 403(b) defined contribution retirement plan audit including preparing work papers and schedules for the auditors. Obtain information for the audit from plan record-keepers MetLife and TIAA-CREF. Meet with the Audit Committee of the Board to review the audit and management letters.
- Assist the CFO, Assistant to the CFO and Controller in preparing the annual corporate tax returns, including IRS Forms 990 and 990-T, Commonwealth of Massachusetts Forms PC and M990-T, returns for other states, and Whetstone Wood Trust Fund returns.
- Assist the Development Department on financial matters relating to contracts and grants; review contract and grant applications and reimbursement requests for correct data prior to submittal. Assist unit managers in the proper accounting for contracts and grants in order to meet the terms of the granting authority and the federal contracting Single Audit requirements. Train appropriate staff in Single Audit requirements.
- Assist the Controller in gathering the work papers and grant documentation for the Single Audit. Monitor financial systems for compliance with the Single Audit and ensure any changes to the guidelines are implemented and relayed to grant recipients. Work to ensure a Single Audit with no substantive findings.
- Prepare appropriate special financial reports, analysis and information when requested. Assist Controller on special projects, requests and budget monitoring. Maintain adequate financial records and files.
- Improve account reconciliation process, drive deadlines, and enhance deliverables as they pertain to the month-end close.
- Record the endowment transactions monthly and reconcile endowment statements and financial accounts. Track monthly change in market value and earned/unearned gains and losses. Make the necessary journal entries and fund transfers.
- Reconcile monthly bank statements and prepare journal entry for all miscellaneous cash transactions. Review monthly analysis statement of bank charges. Coordinate new banking services or products at field sites.
- Prepare miscellaneous journal entries for general ledger corrections, monthly journal entries, payroll entries, imported journal entries, and cashbook and input into the general ledger.
- Assist Controller on the monthly closings. Conduct monthly closing in the Controller’s absence.
- Assist with efforts to automate and streamline additional functions in the Financial Operations Department. Help implement changes and new software.
- Provide back-up or perform functions in the Financial Operations Department that require attention due to workload or lack of staff.
- Perform projects, ad hoc analysis, and such other accounting, financial, or administrative tasks as may be required from time to time.
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting preferred.
- 3 years of experience in an accounting or business role.
- Broad knowledge of accounting principles especially in non-profit accounting.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, ethically and responsibly, and to work closely with and as part of the finance team.
- Detail oriented, guided by quality and precision aspiration with strong performance culture while being cooperative and collaborative.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interface with people at all levels.
- Willingness to expand range of responsibilities as needed based on the evolution of the company and the role.
- Enjoys working in a fast paced and energized environment.
- Proactive, responsive, and timely problem solver.
- Demonstrate high proficiency with Microsoft suite in general and Excel specifically. Knowledge of Blackbaud’s Financial Edge a plus
Compensation and Benefits
This position’s base salary range is $80,000 - $90,000; actual salary will reflect level of experience and qualifications relative to position requirements. Includes full benefits package.
How to Apply
Please send resume and cover letter to: