Regional Marketing & Communications Associate, Metro West
About Mass Audubon
Mass Audubon is the largest nature-based conservation organization in New England. Founded in 1896 by two women who fought for the protection of birds, Mass Audubon carries on their legacy by focusing on the greatest challenges facing the environment today: the loss of biodiversity, inequitable access to nature, and climate change. With the help of our 140,000 members and supporters, we protect wildlife, conserve and restore resilient land, advocate for impactful environmental policies, offer nationally recognized education programs for adults and children, and provide endless opportunities to experience the outdoors at our wildlife sanctuaries. Explore, find inspiration, and take action at www.massaudubon.org.
About This Position
Mass Audubon is looking for a creative, results-oriented communicator to help tell our story at both the regional and statewide level, in alignment with the organization’s Action Agenda. The Regional Marketing & Communications Associate, Metro West will serve as a member of the Marketing and Communications team, which includes retail, as well as a member of the Metro West team. This role will be responsible for representing statewide strategic marketing and retail priorities, while also acting as the point-person for all region-based communications.
This position will be a hybrid of remote work and working out of Belmont, Lincoln, and Natick.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Act as the region’s chief storyteller, assembling content for all mediums that highlights what is happening on-site and inspires people to visit and get involved.
- Manage the region’s social media, enews, and webpages, ensuring each channel is engaging, responsive, and up-to-date.
- Serve as a strategic partner in program development and promotion, identifying ways to increase enrollment and reach new audiences; provide feedback on descriptions and monitor online listings.
- Produce promotional materials, including but not limited to press releases, flyers, rack cards, brochures, banners, and invitations.
- Help grow the region’s media library by consistently taking or gathering region-specific images and videos.
- Work with regional development team members to help produce collateral and appeals.
- Work with the Retail Manager to grow sales through marketing campaigns, new product ideas, and branded merchandise.
- Collaborate with gift shop teams across the state to create unified product selections and branded merchandise.
- Attend programs and special events as needed.
At Mass Audubon, our highest priority is finding the best candidate for the job. Research has shown that people of color and women are less likely to apply for jobs if they don't believe they meet every one of the qualifications described in a job description. We encourage you to apply, even if you don't believe you meet every one of our described qualifications or you have a less traditional background. We are looking for applicants with the following qualifications:
- A strong personal commitment to Mass Audubon’s goals of land conservation, increasing inclusive and equitable access to nature, and advocacy to reduce climate change.
- Experience using or managing social media accounts.
- Ability to work as an effective team member, as well as independently.
- Excellent project management skills including designing and facilitating collaborative planning processes.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with a demonstrated ability to work with diverse groups, exercise cultural humility, and implement best practices in inclusion.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (especially Teams, Excel) and Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator)
- Ability to multi-task, pay attention to detail, and meet deadlines.
- Flexibility and willingness to pitch in as needed.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skill, with a demonstrated ability to build and sustain collaborative partnerships, especially with diverse constituents.
- Willingness to work in person as well as remote; some weekend work may be required.
Nice to Have's:
- A Bachelor's Degree or commensurate experience.
- Previous experience within a nonprofit organization.
- Experience taking marketing-quality photographs.
- Knowledge of basic html (or willingness to learn).
- Experience working in retail.
Compensation & Benefits
This position’s base salary range is $21.50 - $23.65 per hour; actual salary will reflect level of experience and qualifications relative to position requirements.
Benefits and Perks:
Benefits eligible staff at Mass Audubon may elect to enroll in medical, dental, and vision plans. Mass Audubon also offers disability and life insurance plans, a retirement plan through MetLife, and Flexible Spending Account options. Mass Audubon employment also includes access to an Employee Assistance Program (EAP) and the Reciprocity Agreement through the Consortium of Non-Profit Arts/Cultural/Environmental Organizations of New England. Mass Audubon employees also enjoy 12.5 paid holidays (holidays may shift annually due to where days fall within calendar).
This is a full time position.
Employees must successfully complete a CORI and SORI Background Check and a Motor Vehicle Record (if applicable) is required.
Mass Audubon requires that all staff, regardless of their work location, disclose their vaccination status. Proof of vaccination status will be required immediately upon hire. This should also include a booster shot if it has been 5 months since you were initially vaccinated.
Mass Audubon's Commitment To Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, & Justice
Mass Audubon's mission is to "protect the nature of Massachusetts for people and for wildlife" by building a strong coalition of employees, volunteers, and community members. We recognize that the environmental movement and field of conservation have been affected by societal systems that have limited opportunity and access for many people. As a result, Mass Audubon is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and applicants. We are engaged in an ongoing process of organizational assessment and change, designed to remove barriers and create a workplace where all forms of diversity are recognized and valued.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Mass Audubon is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and applicants. Mass Audubon prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
How To Apply
Please send resume and cover letter to: