About Mass Audubon
Mass Audubon is the largest nature-based conservation organization in New England. Founded in 1896 by two women who fought for the protection of birds, Mass Audubon carries on their legacy by focusing on the greatest challenges facing the environment today: the loss of biodiversity, inequitable access to nature, and climate change. With the help of our 140,000 members and supporters, we protect wildlife, conserve and restore resilient land, advocate for impactful environmental policies, offer nationally recognized education programs for adults and children, and provide endless opportunities to experience the outdoors at our wildlife sanctuaries. Explore, find inspiration, and take action at www.massaudubon.org.
About This Position
Mass Audubon is looking for a dedicated and reliable Property Steward with a passion for the environment. This position involves working at two sites on Cape Cod, Long Pasture and Wellfleet Bay Wildlife Sanctuaries. The Property Steward works closely with the Property Managers at these sites on a variety of projects that are essential to the mission of Mass Audubon, including cleaning the Nature Center and Campground buildings daily, removing trash and recycling, trail, boundary, and building maintenance, monitoring land, maintaining equipment, assisting volunteers, implementing Mass Audubon policies, monitoring visitor use, controlling invasive species, and maintaining cooperative relationships with neighbors, community partners, and the general public. The Property Steward ensures that Mass Audubon and its sanctuaries are inclusive and welcoming so more people have access and can connect with the joys of nature.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Work with Mass Audubon staff and volunteers to perform property maintenance tasks including: building maintenance and cleaning, trash and recycling removal, clearing and maintaining trails, repairing boardwalks and picnic tables, controlling invasive species, maintaining signage, marking boundaries, mowing, building maintenance and cleaning, and program set up.
- Work with Property Managers to develop weekly and monthly property maintenance work plans to be completed independently.
- Interact with and provide information for members, visitors, and guests.
- Address issues as they arise on wildlife sanctuaries (trespass, unauthorized ATV and bike use, etc.).
- Assist with maintenance of basic equipment such as hand and power tools, and chainsaws, etc.
- Assist with special projects as needed.
At Mass Audubon, our highest priority is finding the best candidate for the job. Research has shown that people of color and women are less likely to apply for jobs if they don't believe they meet every one of the qualifications described in a job description. We encourage you to apply, even if you don't believe you meet every one of our described qualifications or you have a less traditional background. We are looking for applicants with the following qualifications:
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to perform physical work, sometimes under adverse conditions.
- Ability to hike over rough terrain for extended periods of time, lift and carry up to 40 pounds, and be willing to work outdoors sometimes in foul weather.
- Ability to communicate effectively in person and in writing with a wide variety of people, including wildlife sanctuary neighbors, private landowners, partners, and volunteers.
- Ability to relate to a diverse range of people and exercise cultural competence and inclusion.
- Experience with Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Desirable qualifications include: carpentry skills, tractor experience, chainsaw training, First Aid, valid Massachusetts pesticide applicator license.
- Valid driver’s license and completion of a driver record check.
Compensation & Benefits
This position’s base salary is $37,440 ($18.00 per hour).
Benefits eligible staff at Mass Audubon may elect to enroll in medical, dental, and vision plans. Mass Audubon also offers disability and life insurance plans, a retirement plan through MetLife, and Flexible Spending Account options. Mass Audubon employment also includes access to an Employee Assistance Program (EAP) and the Reciprocity Agreement through the Consortium of Non-Profit Arts/Cultural/Environmental Organizations of New England. Mass Audubon employees also enjoy 12 paid holidays (holidays may shift annually due to where days fall within calendar).
This position will start July 1, 2022 at the earliest and will be based at Wellfleet Bay from May – October and Long Pasture in Barnstable MA from November – April. Position requires flexibility to work weekend days and holidays.
Employees must successfully complete a CORI and SORI Background Check and a Motor Vehicle Record (if applicable) is required.
Mass Audubon requires that all staff, regardless of their work location, disclose their vaccination status. Proof of vaccination status will be required immediately upon hire. This should also include a booster shot if it has been 5 months since you were initially vaccinated.
Mass Audubon's Commitment To Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, & Justice
Mass Audubon's mission is to "protect the nature of Massachusetts for people and for wildlife" by building a strong coalition of employees, volunteers, and community members. We recognize that the environmental movement and field of conservation have been affected by societal systems that have limited opportunity and access for many people. As a result, Mass Audubon is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and applicants. We are engaged in an ongoing process of organizational assessment and change, designed to remove barriers and create a workplace where all forms of diversity are recognized and valued.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Mass Audubon is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and applicants. Mass Audubon prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
How To Apply
Please send resume and cover letter to: