About Mass Audubon
Mass Audubon is the largest nature-based conservation organization in New England. Founded in 1896 by two women who fought for the protection of birds, Mass Audubon carries on their legacy by focusing on the greatest challenges facing the environment today: the loss of biodiversity, inequitable access to nature, and climate change. With the help of our 140,000 members and supporters, we protect wildlife, conserve and restore resilient land, advocate for impactful environmental policies, offer nationally recognized education programs for adults and children, and provide endless opportunities to experience the outdoors at our wildlife sanctuaries. Explore, find inspiration, and take action at www.massaudubon.org.
About This Position
The Property Manager I coordinates and performs a variety of custodial and maintenance duties for assigned buildings, exhibits, and grounds consistent with Mass Audubon policies and in cooperation with other sanctuary staff. He/she consistently represents Mass Audubon in a positive and constructive manner with visitors, members, abutters, vendors, and community officials.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Developing and maintaining a schedule of work to be done.
- Monitoring trails and boundaries and identifying issues or activities that are inconsistent with Mass Audubon policies, standards, or practices.
- Identifying and posting all boundaries.
- Establishing and supervising tasks to be handled by property staff and volunteers.
- Maintain grounds and property by:
- mowing, raking, trimming, pruning, cutting and removing trees;
- constructing and maintaining trails, roadways, and parking areas;
- shoveling, sanding, and plowing snow;
- constructing and/or repairing fences, cages, and signs;
- working on special projects, as needed, including responding to storm-related damage and/or the property management needs of other Mass Audubon sanctuaries.
Maintenance of buildings and other structures:
- Painting and other tasks required to maintain buildings.
- Performing carpentry duties.
- Cleaning gutters.
- Winterizing buildings and systems.
- Performing emergency repairs.
- Performing minor plumbing, electrical, or mechanical repairs.
Custodial and other facility related services
- Removing trash and debris and recycling materials.
- Cleaning rest rooms.
- General cleaning, including washing and waxing floors, cleaning windows, vacuuming carpets, and maintaining nature center exhibits.
- Maintain, as well as supervise others, to keep equipment in working order by tuning, cleaning, sharpening, changing fluids and scheduling needed service.
- Prepare written reports, proposals, and plans for sanctuary as required.
- Ensure that structures and equipment are maintained and operated in accordance with established safety standards and guidelines.
At Mass Audubon, our highest priority is finding the best candidate for the job. Research has shown that people of color and women are less likely to apply for jobs if they don't believe they meet every one of the qualifications described in a job description. We encourage you to apply, even if you don't believe you meet every one of our described qualifications or you have a less traditional background. We are looking for applicants with the following qualifications:
- High school diploma and at least three years of equivalent related experience.
- Basic maintenance skills, including a knowledge of the safe operation, maintenance, and storage of power tools, equipment, tractors, mowers, implements, and vehicles.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to perform physical work, sometimes under adverse conditions.
- A valid Massachusetts driver’s license and the ability to carry out routine building maintenance and site security.
- A demonstrated ability to work well with other staff, volunteers, and community representatives and to relate to a diverse range of people and exercise cultural competence and inclusion.
- Ability to hike over rough terrain for extended periods of time, lift and carry up to 40 pounds, and be willing to work outdoors sometimes in foul weather.
- Valid driver’s license and completion of a driver record check.
Nice to Have’s:
- Carpentry skills.
- Tractor experience.
- Chainsaw training.
Compensation & Benefits
This position’s base salary range is $18 - $20; actual salary will reflect level of experience and qualifications relative to position requirements.
This is not a benefits eligible position.
40 hours per week. This position is seasonal and ends September 16, 2022
Employees must successfully complete a CORI and SORI Background Check and a Motor Vehicle Record (if applicable) is required.
Mass Audubon requires that all staff, regardless of their work location, disclose their vaccination status. Proof of vaccination status will be required immediately upon hire. This should also include a booster shot if it has been 5 months since you were initially vaccinated.
Mass Audubon's Commitment To Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, & Justice
Mass Audubon's mission is to "protect the nature of Massachusetts for people and for wildlife" by building a strong coalition of employees, volunteers, and community members. We recognize that the environmental movement and field of conservation have been affected by societal systems that have limited opportunity and access for many people. As a result, Mass Audubon is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and applicants. We are engaged in an ongoing process of organizational assessment and change, designed to remove barriers and create a workplace where all forms of diversity are recognized and valued.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Mass Audubon is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and applicants. Mass Audubon prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
How To Apply
Please send cover letter, resume, and references to: