Outdoor Early Childhood Educator – Berkshire Nature Camp
Berkshire Nature Camp at Pleasant Valley is celebrating its’ 75th year. We are seeking caring, committed, and enthusiastic educators to lead campers in a summer full of nature exploration and discovery. Mass Audubon’s mission is to protect the nature of Massachusetts for people and for wildlife. Mass Audubon protects 36,500 acres of land throughout Massachusetts, saving birds and other wildlife, and making nature accessible to all. Our Berkshire Nature camp is based out of the ecologically rich Pleasant Valley Wildlife Sanctuary, in Lenox, MA.
The Early Childhood Educator will facilitate programming for the Knee High Naturalists (ages 3-5).
- Design and implement a nature education program for young children in coordination with the Early Childhood Program Lead;
- Plan daily sessions, including short hikes, exploration activities, nature crafts, stories, songs, etc.;
- Provide a physically and emotionally safe environment for young children at both indoor and outdoor settings;
- Maintain physical environment by contributing to housekeeping tasks as needed and/or requested;
- Spend up to 4 hours daily outdoors with the participants during all kinds of weather;
- Be available for all 9 weeks of camp, including approximately 1 weeks of paid training, depending upon position.
- Love of nature and teaching young children;
- Experience with and a strong commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice;
- Experience working outdoors with children ages 3 to 6 years old;
- Bachelor’s Degree (completed or in progress) in Environmental Education, Early Childhood Education, or equivalent experience/knowledge;
- Ability to pass background record checks (CORI, SORI, and NSOPW);
- Certification in CPR/First Aid or Wilderness First Aid highly desirable.
Compensation and Benefits
$15 per hour dependent upon experience; approximately 35 hours/week. Housing is not provided, however we can provide information on securing housing for the summer.
Schedule: Training begins the week of June 21, 2021. Camp runs Monday to Friday from 9am-1pm, June 28 – August 27
How to Apply
Please send letter of interest, resume; and contact info for three references to: