Nature Preschool Director
Mass Audubon founded the first nature preschool in Massachusetts, and is a national leader in environmental education. Mass Audubon seeks a MA EEC certified Preschool Director for the opening of its new Nature Preschool at Felix Neck Wildlife Sanctuary in Edgartown. This EEC-licensed Preschool is scheduled to open in September 2019. Felix Neck is looking for a passionate and energetic Director who can balance the responsibilities of management and instruction of a unique preschool learning environment.
The ideal candidate would hold an EEC Director 1 license or be Lead Teacher certified and working towards a Director license. Their background would include prior preschool and management experience, including staff supervision, community building and the ability to deliver programs that engage young children in whole child learning experiences in the outdoors. The Preschool Director must be able to work outside for a minimum of three hours daily, navigate varied terrain and offer both land and water learning opportunities that meet Massachusetts Department of Early Childhood and Care regulations and MA State Preschool Standards.
The preschool will serve Martha’s Vineyard children ages 3 to 5 for half and full-day programming in alignment with the public school calendar, September to June. The position will be full time, year-round, and benefited with camp and program responsibilities in the summer.
The position is full time. If desired by the applicant, a school-year schedule will be considered, although benefits may differ.
- Direct and manage a Nature Preschool program and educational staff;
- Plan, develop, and implement programming that includes:
Providing a physically and emotionally safe environment for young children in both indoor and outdoor settings;
Develop a nature-based curriculum that reflects the needs of the children, the standards for early childhood education and the mission of Mass Audubon;
- Communicate and work cooperatively with the Nature Preschool education staff to accomplish program goals;
- Manage annual preschool budget;
- Implement MA EEC required policies and management plans;
- Spend 3 or more hours daily outdoors with the students during all seasons, except during severe weather conditions, with the ability to navigate varied terrain;
- Serve as Lead Teacher;
- Document children’s learning through the use of notes, photos, newsletters, etc.;
- Prepare necessary materials and schedules for Parent/Teacher Conferences:
- Communicate and interact with children, parents and community in a professional manner;
- Help to maintain the physical environment by contributing the housekeeping tasks as needed/requested;
- Participate in community engagement activities;
- Plan and offer Professional Development seminars to the educational staff;
- Assist with hiring and managing all preschool program staff and volunteers.
- EEC Director License or EEC Preschool Lead Teacher certification on track to Director License is required;
- Minimum of an Associate’s degree in Early Education and/or related field required, Bachelor’s degree or working towards a Bachelor’s Degree in Early Education preferred;
- Passion for the natural world and prior experience in environmental education;
- Minimum of 3 years of management experience at a licensed preschool and 5 years of experience teaching children 3-5 years old;
- Experience in providing natural science instruction to preschool age children is preferred;
- Experience, willingness, and comfort taking children into nature is a high priority
- Excellent verbal, written communication and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to work cooperatively and independently is required;
- Demonstrate ability to promote and respect diversity of ethnic, cultural, linguistic backgrounds and, physical and mental abilities.
- Demonstrate skills and commitment to helping others grow in the understanding, relationship, and concern for the environment;
- Current First Aid/CPR certification or willingness to obtain is required;
- Must pass a background records check (CORI, SORI, and driver record check);
- Provide two references from an early childhood setting upon request.
Compensation and Benefits
Position will be compensated hourly at $17-$19. Mass Audubon offers an outstanding benefits package.
How to Apply
Please send your resume and cover letter (email preferred) to:
P.O. Box 494, Vineyard Haven, MA 02568