Nature Day Camp Counselors
Do you enjoy being outdoors for the summer? Do you like both nature and working with children? Here is the perfect summer job!
Arcadia Nature Day Camp is looking for staff to teach campers age 5-16 through nature hikes, games, and crafts at a beautiful wildlife sanctuary. Staff will work with either Hummingbird Campers, ages 4-6, Kingfisher Campers, ages 7-8, Great Blue Heron Campers, ages 9-12, or assist with Photography Campers ages 10-16. Staff will be responsible for working closely with one other counselor to develop and implement daily natural history themes and activities. Staff will work with the larger camp staff for all camp activities and to meet Mass Audubon‘s educational goals, American Camp Association standards, and the state’s health and safety regulations including all Covid-19 policies.
Programs focus on developing a child’s natural sense of curiosity and fostering a sense of place within our camp community. Our goal is for children to have fun while gaining respect and appreciation for the natural world.
Essential Functions (Applicants must be able to):
- Work as a team with others;
- Abide by all Covid-19 safety policies including wearing a mask and social distancing;
- Plan, and conduct appropriate and engaging age appropriate natural history lessons for each camp day;
- Eat lunch and snack with campers and oversee and morning and after lunch games;
- Participate in daily meetings/planning sessions with other camp staff and communicate to the day camp director any conflicts, questions, concerns, or parent comments;
- Protect the physical and emotional welfare of campers, interacting appropriately with campers in a variety of situations, appropriately modeling behavior and using positive behavior management techniques, providing first aid and CPR when necessary, and writing up injury reports;
- Read through health concerns of campers and be aware of each child’s health condition(s), and review the release forms of campers making sure campers are released only to the appropriate adult;
- Maintain an organized work environment and participate in daily Sanctuary cleaning tasks;
- Assume additional related duties as requested.
- Have at least three years experience and enjoy working with children;
- Have a strong interest in natural science, wildlife, botany;
- Have certifications in community CPR (child and adult levels) and basic first aid current through September 2020 or willingness to use and obtain before the start of camp;
- Candidates must be flexible and creative;
- Classroom teaching and or environmental education experience helpful;
- Pass both the Criminal and Sex Offender Record Information (expanded CORI & SORI) background records checks;
- Provide documented proof of immunity or vaccination record as mandated by the Massachusetts Department of Public Health and complete the camp’s health form and waiver;
- As temporary seasonal employees, staff members are paid for only the scheduled hours worked, and may be asked to take unpaid leave depending on camp enrollment;
Compensation and Benefits
$15:00 hour, 40 hours per week.
Housing is not available
June 21-25 - training week
Camp Sessions: June 28- September 3 for 40 hours/week, Monday-Friday 8:30am-4:30 pm (some flexibility will be allowed for those unable to work the last week of camp)
How to Apply
Please email or send your resume, cover letter and names and contact of three references to:
Arcadia Wildlife Sanctuary
127 Combs Road
Easthampton, MA 01027