The Membership and Annual Fund Department maintains a statewide membership base of more than 135,000 members and supporters, conducts the fundraising campaigns and other activities necessary to achieve revenue targets, and provides dues/gift payment processing, member services, benefit fulfillment, data management, financial reconciliation and reporting, and other services for Mass Audubon.
Membership Specialists are part of a highly collaborative team which performs an array of different responsibilities to support key departmental objectives of acquiring, retaining, engaging, and serving existing members, and acquiring new annual fund donors.
1. Process Mass Audubon membership dues payments and donations, including batch preparation, data entry, and reconciliation/reporting. Ensure that transactions are entered correctly in Mass Audubon’s membership database. Create new accounts as needed, and make updates and corrections to name, address, email, and other account information. Handle cash, checks, and credit cards, and all information pertaining to Mass Audubon members and donors in a secure and professional manner, and in keeping with departmental and organizational guidelines.
2. Respond in a timely, courteous, and effective manner to telephone, email, and written requests for information and assistance from Mass Audubon members, staff, and the general public. Use the membership database, peripheral databases, the Mass Audubon website, and other resources as needed to research and resolve customer service issues. Keep abreast of Mass Audubon activities, programs, and policies to help inform appropriate response to and/or re-directing of inquiries.
3. Acquire and maintain ongoing proficiency in the use of Mass Audubon’s membership database, and all peripheral databases, in order to perform core job responsibilities.
4. Responsible for timely and accurate completion of designated departmental processes/programs, as team lead or backup. Provide updates on these at team meetings or as requested, and resolve or escalate any problems or issues that may delay or impede the execution of these processes/programs.
5. Leverage interactions with members and the general public to promote revenue growth (for example, migrating to a higher level of membership for additional benefits) or cost-saving options (such as enrollment in automatic membership renewal), as appropriate.
6. Assist with special projects and initiatives, including seasonal membership promotions, gift membership campaigns, and others.
7. Recruit new members and serve as an effective ambassador for Mass Audubon and the membership program at wildlife sanctuary and public events. Attend departmental and other meetings as directed.
8. Assume other responsibilities as requested by the Director of Membership and Annual Fund, or the Membership and Annual Fund Operations Manager.
Associates degree or higher preferred, and at least 4-5 years of professional office experience required, ideally in a customer-facing environment. Must have demonstrated strong data entry, customer service, and communication skills. Able to handle cash, checks, and credit cards, and other sensitive information in a secure and professional manner. Microsoft Office experience (Word and Excel) required. Attention to detail, accuracy, and the ability to manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines are essential. Able to work well as part of a team and independently.
The physical demands listed are representative of those that must be met by the employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the position. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position. While performing the duties of this position, the employee is required to talk, hear, sit, stand, and walk. Occasionally the employee is required to bend/stoop, crawl/kneel, carry, reach, push/pull, walk over uneven terrain, and lift up to 40 lbs. Employee is required to apply limited manual dexterity in combination with eye-hand coordination, such as basic keyboarding, basic hand tools and instruments, filing, operating office equipment, and operating a motor vehicle. Employee must have good vision to read documents for general understanding and for analytical purposes. Occasionally the employee is required to review non-written materials for general observation purposes and for analytical, detailed purposes. Occasionally it is necessary for the employee to differentiate between colors.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that the employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job. Routinely work is performed within a typical office setting. Occasionally work is performed outdoors with exposure to weather/temperature extremes and traversing uneven terrain. Work may very occasionally require performing responsibilities on evenings, weekends, and holidays.
Tools and Equipment Used
The employee is required to use a personal computer and general office equipment (e.g., telephone, copier/scanner, etc.). Requires a valid driver’s license.
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full time position (40 hours a week). Salary range is $18 - $20 per hour, commensurate with experience; includes a full benefits package.
Mass Audubon embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are dedicated to forming a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. People of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
Please send resume and cover letter to: