Junior Environmental Educators / Day Camp Counselors (Felix Neck)
Assist Environmental Educators/ Day Camp Counselors with guidance, instruction and supervision of campers ages 4 - 13 in accordance with Mass Audubon’s educational goals, American Camp Association standards, and the state’s health and safety regulations. Junior staff will lead games; act as role models, assist in maintaining safety, and help children make friends and feel comfortable outdoors in nature. Junior Day Camp Counselors will have the opportunity to observe different instruction styles and lead activities such as explorations, stories, crafts, nature games, seashore walks, insect studies, and ponding under the supervision of an instructor.
- Protect the physical and emotional welfare of campers, fellow staff, and self
- Prepare materials for activities
- Lead songs and games for campers
- Maintain an organized work environment and participate in daily Sanctuary cleaning tasks
- Assume additional related duties as requested
- Visually identify safety issues related to camp operation
- Monitor camp groups in all types of indoor and outdoor environments (forest, field, pond, shore) and look and listen for key safety concerns and alerts
- Navigate, run, and play on trails, and easily access all areas of Felix Neck Wildlife Sanctuary by foot
- Communicate with campers and their families in an appropriate way
- Applicants must be at least 16 years old by June 24, 2019.
- Have experience and enjoy working with children and be creative and flexible
- Have a strong interest in natural science, wildlife and/or outdoor education
- Show an interest in designing and implementing nature-based activities including games and crafts
- Have certifications in community CPR (child and adult levels) and basic first aid current through August 2019 or be willing to obtain before June 10, 2019, lifeguard certification is a plus.
- Provide documented proof of immunity or vaccination record as mandated by the Massachusetts Department of Public Health and complete the camp’s health form and waiver
- Provide the camp with a work permit from their school administrator (obtain once hired)
- Be available June 24 - August 16, 2019 for 40 hours/week, Monday-Friday 8:00am-4:00pm. Potential option to work through August 30, 2019.
- As temporary seasonal employees, staff are paid only for the scheduled hours worked and may be asked to take unpaid leave depending on camp enrollment.
- Favorable completion of both the Criminal and Sex Offender Record Information (expanded CORI & SORI) according to the Mass Audubon’s guidelines is necessary for employment. A private firm will perform out-of-state resident background checks.
Compensation and Benefits
$12.00 per hour
How to Apply
Please send cover letter, resume and three references to:
Fern & Feather Day Camp - Felix Neck Wildlife Sanctuary
P.O. Box 494
Vineyard Haven, MA 02568