Junior Camp Leader - Blue Hills Camp
Assist Camp Educators in leading their camp program, with campers ranging in ages 5-10 at the Blue Hills Summer Camp located at the Norman Smith Education Center in the Blue Hills Reservation.
Junior Camp Leaders assist in the development, planning, and implementation age-appropriate nature-based activities for camp, including games and crafts, supervise the health and safety of campers, and communicate with camp staff and parents. Junior Camp Leaders may work with several different groups over the course of a session, and will gain experience with different age groups over the course of the summer.
Applicants must be at least 16 years of age and have an interest and general knowledge of natural history and/or education. Experience as a Blue Hills CIT is preferred, though not required. Must have previous experience working with and enjoy being with children; have the ability to lead groups over rough terrain and be able to work both cooperatively and independently; have a positive attitude, love of nature, and a willingness to learn. Current certification in Community CPR and First Aid or an equivalent current certification is required.
Compensation and Benefits
Schedule: Training occurs June 7-11 and June 14-18. Camp runs Monday-Friday, June 21- August 20; Hours: 8:00am to 4:00pm. We will work with folks who may still be in school during these dates for staff training.
How to Apply
When crafting your cover letter, please answer the following questions.
1) What is your realistic availability from June 1 through September 3rd? What time off will you need, end of school, family vacations, etc.
2) What is something you are passionate about?
3) If you had a tennis ball, a bandana, a bird feather, and a stick what is a game or activity you could create to play with a group of 8-10 campers. You pick the age.
4) What might set you apart from all the other people who are applying for a position here?
5) What is an environmental topic that you are interested in teaching about?
6) What would you want to be known for at camp? A song? An activity? What would staff and campers remember you for?
7) What do you do to connect with Nature?
8) What would you do to make camp memorable for the campers?
Please send cover letter, resume, and a list of 3 references to: