Field Technician - North Shore Islands
About Mass Audubon
Mass Audubon is the largest nature-based conservation organization in New England. Founded in 1896 by two women who fought for the protection of birds, Mass Audubon carries on their legacy by focusing on the greatest challenges facing the environment today: the loss of biodiversity, inequitable access to nature, and climate change. With the help of our 160,000 members and supporters, we protect wildlife, conserve and restore resilient land, advocate for impactful environmental policies, offer nationally recognized education programs for adults and children, and provide endless opportunities to experience the outdoors at our wildlife sanctuaries. Explore, find inspiration, and take action at www.massaudubon.org.
About This Position
Mass Audubon is seeking an enthusiastic and dedicated seasonal Field Technician to conduct research, monitoring, management, and protection of coastal wading birds and other natural resources. Primary duties will include: regularly monitoring a nesting colony of wading birds on Kettle Island, census of wading birds on several islands in the North Shore/Boston harbor, nest monitoring, and vegetation survey around nest sites, flight patterns surveys, and coordinating and supervising volunteers. The Field Technician will also perform public outreach, community engagement, and education activities.
The individual in this position is responsible for assisting the Ecological Project Manager (EPM) with the management of field assistants/volunteers. Under the direction of the Ecological Project Manager, assume responsibility for Field Assistants/volunteers, including daily preparedness, data entry, and equipment upkeep.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Collect biological data on nesting, foraging, and migrating species of coastal waterbirds, including abundance and distribution of target species
- Conduct bird surveys for coastal waterbirds (both from boats and land)
- Conduct vegetation surveys at bird nest sites
- Supervise field assistants/volunteers to meet the research, wildlife management, and education objectives
- Train and supervise field assistants/volunteers in the collection and management of biological data on nesting, foraging, and migrating species of coastal waterbirds
- Assist in the management of databases, including abundance, productivity, and behavioral data
- Assist in the compilation of data and write summary reports on results and management activities
- Interact with neighbors to provide information regarding regulations and island ecology
- Development and delivery of formal and informal outreach to community groups, partners, schools, and others about Kettle Island and the importance of islands for wading birds
- Work with Regional Director to establish and cultivate relationships with public and private landowners about coastal wildlife protection
- Supervise and research special projects as directed
- Contribute to office support and equipment care
- Other tasks as directed
At Mass Audubon, our highest priority is finding the best candidate for the job. Research has shown that people of color and women are less likely to apply for jobs if they don't believe they meet every one of the qualifications described in a job description. We encourage you to apply, even if you don't believe you meet every one of our described qualifications or you have a less traditional background. We are looking for applicants with the following qualifications:
- Applicants should have a B.S. or B.A. or higher in wildlife biology/management, ecology, zoology, environmental science, or related field
- Prior experience in avian field research and management strongly preferred
- Applicants should have demonstrated experience utilizing judgment in field-based wildlife research or management projects and have strong attention to detail
- Experience in behavioral data collection, band-reading, wildlife tracking, and coastal wildlife management issues
- Small boat-handling experience
- Applicants must have strong interpersonal skills
- Must be able to work long hours outside in all weather conditions and be able to lift and carry up to 40lbs across varied and sandy terrain
- Must be willing to work weekends, holidays, and irregular hours (dependent upon wildlife and weather)
Nice to Haves:
- Kayaking experience preferred
Compensation & Benefits
This position’s base salary range is $16.60-$18.61/hour; actual salary will reflect level of experience and qualifications relative to position requirements. This position is eligible for health insurance benefits.
This full-time, seasonal position runs between March to October 2023 and requires irregular hours and some weekends/holidays.
Employees must successfully complete a CORI and SORI Background Check and a Motor Vehicle Record (if applicable) is required.
Mass Audubon's Commitment To Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, & Justice
Mass Audubon's mission is to "protect the nature of Massachusetts for people and for wildlife" by building a strong coalition of employees, volunteers, and community members. We recognize that the environmental movement and field of conservation have been affected by societal systems that have limited opportunity and access for many people. As a result, Mass Audubon is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and applicants. We are engaged in an ongoing process of organizational assessment and change, designed to remove barriers and create a workplace where all forms of diversity are recognized and valued.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Mass Audubon is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and applicants. Mass Audubon prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
How To Apply
Please apply on ADP Workforce Now: https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=6044bc19-19e6-443a-8a51-62fe8af33798&ccId=19000101_000001&jobId=453350&lang=en_US&source=EN.