Mass Audubon is looking for an energetic, team-oriented Farmhand to help care for our animals and support our farm-based education programs. Our livestock program is essential to Drumlin Farm’s role as a sustainable working farm and wildlife sanctuary that engages over 150,000 visitors and program participants per year. Farmhands perform essential care for a wide variety of animals (including cows, sheep, goats, pony, and chickens), assist with the management of farm products, and help with sales to the public and through our hunger relief program.
- Provides daily care of livestock including feeding and cleaning
- Helps maintain health of livestock including assisting with:
- Diet and feeding
- Veterinary and emergency care
- Birthing of livestock
- Assists in hay production, manure management, pasture management including rotational grazing program, and mobile chicken coop
- Assists in barn and facilities maintenance including fencing, pens, and livestock equipment
- Assists in maintaining clear communications with educational staff and volunteers
- Other duties as required.
- Minimum of 2 years of large animal care experience required, specifically cows, sheep, goats, pigs and chickens
- Capable of operating mechanical equipment such as mowers, tractors, and trucks; Valid MA driver‘s license required
- Ability to organize and work with interns and volunteers, and to communicate clearly with staff and the public
- Hard working, dependable, and open to learning new skills
- Ability to work in a physically demanding, fast-paced work environment in all types of terrain and in all weather conditions.
- Ability to lift and haul up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to relate to a diverse range of people and exercise cultural competence and inclusion.
- Knowledge of basic carpentry skills helpful
- CPR/First Aid Certification or willingness to get certification
Compensation and Benefits
Salary ranges from $14.25 - $15.25 per hour, commensurate with experience.
Eligible for full benefits package.
Residence in shared staff housing is required for this position.
This is a full-time, 40 hour/week, benefit-eligible position with a schedule of Tuesday through Saturday.
May be asked to work additional hours during peak periods, holidays, or special events.
Mass Audubon embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are dedicated to forming a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. People of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Mass Audubon requires all employees to be fully vaccinated for Covid-19. In addition, a successful completion of a CORI and SORI Background Check and a Motor Vehicle Record (if applicable) is required.
How to Apply
Please submit resume and cover letter to: