Mass Audubon is looking for energetic, team-oriented Farmhands to help care for our animals and support our farm-based education programs. Our livestock program is essential to Drumlin Farm’s role as a sustainable working farm and wildlife sanctuary that engages over 150,000 visitors and program participants per year. Farmhands perform essential care for a wide variety of animals (including cows, sheep, goats, pony, and chickens), assist with the management of farm products, and help with sales to the public and through our hunger relief program.
- Provides daily care of livestock including feeding and cleaning,
- Helps maintain health of livestock including assisting with:
- Diet and feeding,
- Veterinary and emergency care,
- Birthing of livestock,
- Assists in hay production, manure management, pasture management including rotational grazing program, and mobile chicken coop,
- Assists in barn and facilities maintenance including fencing, pens, and livestock equipment,
- Assists in maintaining clear communications with educational staff and volunteers,
- Other duties as required.
- Minimum of 2 years of large animal care experience required, specifically cows, sheep, goats, pigs and chickens,
- Capable of operating mechanical equipment such as mowers, tractors, and trucks; Valid MA driver‘s license required,
- Ability to organize and work with interns and volunteers, and to communicate clearly with staff and the public,
- Hard working, dependable, and open to learning new skills,
- Ability to work in a physically demanding, fast-paced work environment in all types of terrain and in all weather conditions,
- Ability to lift and haul up to 50 pounds,
- Ability to relate to a diverse range of people and exercise cultural competence and inclusion,
- Knowledge of basic carpentry skills helpful,
- CPR/First Aid Certification or willingness to get certification,
- Requires successful completion of a CORI and SORI.
Compensation and Benefits
Starting at $13.50 per hour, commensurate with experience.
Multiple shifts available:
- Position 1 (18 hours/week): Fridays and Saturdays 7am – 5pm (with one hour unpaid lunch)
- Position 2 (10 hours per week): Tuesdays 7am – 12pm and Thursdays 12pm – 5pm
May be asked to work additional hours during peak periods, holidays, or special events.
Mass Audubon embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are dedicated to forming a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. People of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
Please submit resume and cover letter indicating which shift(s) you are interested in to: