Family & Youth Education Intern - Joppa Flats
The Family & Youth Education Interns (FYI) will spend the early part of their internship assisting with the implementation of field trips offered onsite at the Joppa Flats Education Center and offsite on the Parker River National Wildlife Refuge and Plum Island. Themes may include coastal ecology, marine biology, environmental awareness and stewardship, bird banding and migration, and invasive species. Field trips may include sandy beaches, rocky shores, tide pools, salt marshes, rivers, and ponds.
Responsibilities for Weekend Availability:
- Lead our 3 hour public program with our 110-gallon tide pool touch tank
- Supervise our teen volunteers at the touch tank
- Interpret our wildlife tanks and insect cages for the visitors
Responsibilities for Weekday Availability:
- Assist naturalists with school and family field trips on Plum Island at the sandy beach, rocky shore, bird banding station, salt marsh and maritime forest
- Preparation, planning and assisting naturalists with in-school programs, afterschool programs and homeschool programs for preschool through grade 5
- Develop a monthly ecology-based theme for self-guided activities and table-top displays in our Education Center for visitors of all ages
- At least 18 years of age
- Experience interacting with people of all ages, interests, and backgrounds
- Demonstrates creativity, reliability, flexibility, and enthusiasm, and strong oral and written communication skills
- Local knowledge of New England coastal ecology and rocky shore species a plus but not required
- Experience with outdoor activities such as birding and tide pooling
- Experience with tank maintenance, animal care, and feeding (salt water preferred)
- Must pass a background records check (CORI, SORI and driver's)
- Valid driver’s license
- First aid & CPR certified. Courses can be scheduled if necessary. Registration and fee required
Compensation and Benefits
This is an unpaid internship.
Dates of Employment: early September - mid December
Commitment 12-15 weeks
15 hours per week
Some evenings and weekends required.
How to Apply
Please email your cover letter and resume to:
No phone calls please.