Environmental Educator / Teen Program Coordinator
Mass Audubon is running an outdoor summer program for Springfield students at Laughing Brook Wildlife Sanctuary in Hampden, MA. The program will include nature exploration, natural science studies, nature journaling, team-building activities, nature games, and much more.
We are hiring an Environmental Educator / Teen Program Coordinator to support our programming by designing and supervising a teen leadership program for eight paid high school students, that runs alongside an outdoor nature learning program for rising 6th graders. The teen leaders will spend a portion of each day in team-building and learning activities for themselves and a portion of the day supporting place-based environmental education activities and games for the younger participants.
- Design and deliver curriculum including lessons, activities and leadership development opportunities for the Environmental Leadership program for youth ages 14-17. The Environmental Leadership program aims to help teens develop leadership and environmental education skills;
- Train and support teens to serve as part-time Counselors-in-Training for summer nature program for Springfield middle school students;
- Participate in mandated, paid camp training and utilize learning including: natural history, communication, group management, health and safety, and teaching techniques;
- Oversee teen health and safety during fully outdoor program.
- Must be at least 21 years old with at least two years’ experience working with youth, preferably with a focus on environmental education or similar topics;
- Must enjoy working with teens, be able to work both cooperatively and independently, be flexible and responsible;
- We encourage applicants with a diversity of interests and work experience to apply. Interest or studies in environmental science, education, psychology, biology, ecology, or related fields are helpful;
- Must have the ability to lead groups over rough terrain;
- Demonstrated ability to promote and respect diversity;
- Must have community CPR/First Aid certifications current through August 2021 or willing to obtain before June (we will offer a class);
- Must pass background records checks (CORI & SORI).
Compensation and Benefits
Rate of Pay: $20/hour
Monday - Friday, 8 am – 4 pm
Training (paid): June 21– 25 (1 week); Prep: July 6-9 (1 week) Instruction: July 12 – Aug 20 (6 weeks)
Springfield area residents are strongly encouraged to apply. Every inquiry will be treated confidentially.
How to Apply
Please send an email with the subject line Teen Program Coordinator and your resume and cover letter to: