Mass Audubon is running an outdoor summer learning program for Springfield students at Laughing Brook Wildlife Sanctuary in Hampden, MA. The program will include nature exploration, natural science studies, nature journaling, team-building activities, nature games, and much more. We are looking for an Environmental Educator to support our programming by designing and delivering place-based environmental education lessons and activities for Springfield 6th graders.
- Design and deliver curriculum including lessons and activities for the summer learning program for 6th graders;
- Participate in mandated, paid camp training and utilize learning including: natural history, communication, group management, health and safety, and teaching techniques;
- Oversee youth health and safety during fully outdoor program.
- Must be at least 21 years old with at least two years of experience working with youth, preferably with a focus on environmental education or similar topics;
- Must enjoy working with youth, be able to work both cooperatively and independently, be flexible and responsible;
- We encourage applicants with a diversity of interests and work experience to apply. Interest or studies in environmental science, education, psychology, biology, ecology, or related fields are helpful;
- Must have the ability to lead groups over rough terrain;
- Demonstrated ability to promote and respect diversity;
- Must have community CPR/First Aid certifications current through August 2021 or willing to obtain before June (we will offer a class);
- Must pass background records checks (CORI & SORI).
Compensation and Benefits
Rate of Pay: $18.50/hour
Monday - Friday, 8 am – 4 pm
Training (paid): June 21– 25 (1 week); Prep: July 6-9 (1 week) Instruction: July 12 – Aug 20 (6 weeks)
Springfield residents are strongly encouraged to apply. Every inquiry will be treated confidentially.
How to Apply
Please send an email with the subject line Teen Program Coordinator and your resume and cover letter to: