Coastal Waterbird Boston Environmental Education Trainee
Mass Audubon is seeking to fill a seasonal education trainee position to assist in the design and implementation of educational programs for youth, families, and adults. These programs will be focused on the biology, monitoring, management, and protection of coastal birds and other natural resources. Time may be used to assist with the coordination, preparation, and marketing of these educational programs and special events in the Greater Boston Area. This position is located in Revere, Winthrop, South Boston, and the Boston Harbor Islands. Spanish speakers and those from underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.
This position is 20-30 hrs/week and unpaid. Begins mid-May and ends mid-August
- Travel to different beaches, schools, and program locations in the Greater Boston area as directed.
- Become oriented with the goals and methods of the Coastal Waterbird Program and the biology and protection of coastal birds as it relates to Mass Audubon’s work on the Boston-area beaches and the Massachusetts coastline.
- Perform informal education and outreach on Boston area beaches.
- Assist in the development and delivery of educational activities related to festivals, events, camps, and schools.
- Assist in the development of educational activities for school, camp and group programs.
- Assist in the evaluation of programs and other related activities.
- Attend meetings and trainings related to the work of the Coastal Waterbird Program, as assigned.
- Assist in the scheduling and advertisement of programs.
- Applicants must be at least 18 years of age and have a strong interest in environmental education and coastal ecology.
- Applicants should have good communication (oral, written) skills
- Must be able to work long hours outside in all weather conditions and walk across varied and sandy terrain
- Must be willing to work weekends, holidays, and irregular hours (dependent upon wildlife and weather)
- Must have access to a vehicle for daily driving between sites
- Must pass a background records check (CORI, SORI and driver’s).
Compensation and Benefits
This is an unpaid internship; field travel reimbursement will be provided. For more information, please visit www.massaudubon.org/cwp
Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible, as interviews will begin immediately, and positions will be filled by April 1, 2019.
How to Apply
Please submit your resume, cover letter and three references, to: