Central Region Director
We’re looking for an experienced, passionate, and inspirational leader to direct Mass Audubon’s programs, properties, and actions in Central Massachusetts. The Central Region Director encourages innovation and creativity and inspires staff, donors and volunteers in the communities of Worcester County to work together to achieve our ambitious goals to engage new audiences, address the effects of climate change and protect and steward natural habitats, as we implement Mass Audubon’s Action Agenda. The Director manages 15 Wildlife Sanctuaries in the region, including Broad Meadow Brook and Wachusett Meadow, where Mass Audubon’s mission comes to life. The Director leads, manages, and elevates the sanctuaries’ potential as classrooms for inspiring and fostering a love of nature in people of all ages and backgrounds; connects with partners to engage and mobilize members of the community to advocate for nature-based solutions to environmental challenges; and ensures that Mass Audubon and its Central sanctuaries are inclusive and welcoming so more people have access and can connect with the joys of nature.
- Responsibly manage 15 wildlife sanctuaries and serve as the principal Mass Audubon spokesperson throughout Worcester County
- Supervise regional staff and prepare and implement annual workplans and budgets
- Listen, engage and collaborate with community partners and represent Mass Audubon in the local community, expanding Mass Audubon’s presence to increase local impact and support
- Broaden access to Mass Audubon wildlife sanctuaries and programming through outreach and collaboration with community members and partner organizations
- Participate in grant and fundraising activities planned in coordination with the Development, Marketing and Communications Departments
- Organize community support for local land protection opportunities and ecological management goals in the region in collaboration with Land Conservation and Conservation Science departments
- Coordinate and collaborate with a statewide team of Directors from other regions on organization-wide goals, sharing of resources and desired impact
- Work with staff to maintain and secure the sanctuaries and facilities within the region
- Have a strong background in non-profit management, fundraising, and community engagement
- Are a dynamic, creative and flexible leader with a successful track record in one or more areas: community engagement, environmental equity and justice, conservation, education, and fundraising,
- Have energy, enthusiasm, a sense of humor and a passion for Mass Audubon’s mission
- Have a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience in non-profit management, community engagement, natural resources management, environmental education, planning, biology, or related field
- Have eight years’ work experience in non-profit management, community engagement, program coordination, environmental education, or environmental management, at least six of which are in a supervisory capacity
- Have experience leading and managing in a multi-faceted organization and understand the opportunities this provides
- Have strong communication skills and an ability to work well with staff, volunteers, visitors, partners, and community leaders
- Have ability to relate to people with different backgrounds and life experiences and exercise cultural humility and inclusion
- Have the ability to establish effective Mass Audubon presence in surrounding communities related to conservation and biodiversity of urban, suburban, and rural areas
- Willingness to become certified in First Aid and CPR, and complete a successful CORI and SORI upon hire.
Compensation and Benefits
Salary Range is: $73,000 - $86,000 which is commensurate with experience; includes full benefit package.
Mass Audubon embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are dedicated to forming a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. People of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
No phone calls please. Please include a cover letter to be considered. Those candidates chosen for interviews will be contacted, interviews will begin immediately and the position will remain open until filled.
How to Apply
Please send cover letter and resume to: