About Mass Audubon
Mass Audubon is the largest nature-based conservation organization in New England. Founded in 1896 by two women who fought for the protection of birds, Mass Audubon carries on their legacy by focusing on the greatest challenges facing the environment today: the loss of biodiversity, inequitable access to nature, and climate change. With the help of our 160,000 members and supporters, we protect wildlife, conserve and restore resilient land, advocate for impactful environmental policies, offer nationally recognized education programs for adults and children, and provide endless opportunities to experience the outdoors at our wildlife sanctuaries. Explore, find inspiration, and take action at www.massaudubon.org.
About This Position
Broadmoor Nature Camp is seeking individuals to foster experiential nature-based learning for campers. We aim to promote positive youth development, stewardship for the environment, and a respectful and inclusive safe space for all our campers.
The Behavior Specialist is a caring, positive professional who provides social, emotional and behavioral support, services, and solutions to all campers and staff. They spend each day walking around our site, visiting and engaging with camp groups, and checking in on campers. They communicate via a two-way radio, respond to calls on the spot, and maintain contact with campers’ families.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Work alongside the camp administrative team to support the health and well-being of all campers and staff
- Assist the Camp Director Team and Health Care staff, if applicable, to identify and communicate with caregivers whose campers may need support during their camp sessions, review relevant documents (IEPs, family communications), and maintain contact with families throughout their session
- Train, brief, and assist counselors with techniques for working with campers’ behavioral, mental, social, and emotional needs, including campers with special needs (autism, ADHD, non-verbal, sensory integration, etc.)
- Provide direct care to staff and campers within the scope of your skills, the camp’s health care manual, and treatment procedures
- Respond to radio calls and check in with camp groups before, during, and after the camp day
- Keep detailed notes of conversations with caregivers, campers, and staff and follow up on needs
- Assist with other tasks as needed
At Mass Audubon, our highest priority is finding the best candidate for the job. Research has shown that people of color and women are less likely to apply for jobs if they don't believe they meet every one of the qualifications described in a job description. We encourage you to apply, even if you don't believe you meet every one of our described qualifications or you have a less traditional background. We are looking for applicants with the following qualifications:
Required qualifications as per Massachusetts Department of Public Health (MA DPH) regulations, American Camp Association standards and Mass Audubon Policy:
- Must be 21+
- Documented experience working with children and/or youth with special needs
- Demonstrated ability to promote and respect diversity
- Participate in mandated, paid camp training and utilize learning including: natural history, communication, group management, health and safety, and teaching techniques
- Provide documented proof of immunity or vaccination record as mandated by MA DPH; complete camp health form and waiver
- Be willing to work with groups outdoors for six hours a day in most weather conditions
- Physically access sanctuary terrain easily by foot
- Ability to effectively interact with others, especially children, in camp’s youth-centered environment
- Ability to adapt to changes in schedule and work assignment
- Strong organizational and administrative skills including ability to use a computer to access online health records and track incidents
- Strong communication skills in person, by phone, and email
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in counseling, therapy, or related field preferred
Compensation & Benefits
This position’s base salary range is $21.02-$23.00/hour; actual salary will reflect level of experience and qualifications relative to position requirements. This is not a benefits eligible position.
Perks of Working at Mass Audubon:
- Free First Aid/CPR training class offered to staff in June
- “Pro- Deal” discounts on outdoor clothing, equipment and more
- Network with Mass Audubon staff (Conservation, Education, Climate Science, etc.)
June 1-August 18, 2023
Monday-Friday, 8 am-4 pm, 40 hours/week
*June 1-9 will be about 10 hours/week remote work
Employees must successfully complete a CORI and SORI Background Check and a Motor Vehicle Record (if applicable) is required.
Mass Audubon's Commitment To Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, & Justice
Mass Audubon's mission is to "protect the nature of Massachusetts for people and for wildlife" by building a strong coalition of employees, volunteers, and community members. We recognize that the environmental movement and field of conservation have been affected by societal systems that have limited opportunity and access for many people. As a result, Mass Audubon is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and applicants. We are engaged in an ongoing process of organizational assessment and change, designed to remove barriers and create a workplace where all forms of diversity are recognized and valued.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Mass Audubon is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and applicants. Mass Audubon prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
How To Apply
Please apply on ADP Workforce Now: https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=6044bc19-19e6-443a-8a51-62fe8af33798&ccId=19000101_000001&jobId=451562&lang=en_US&source=EN.