Associate Director, Stewardship and Donor Communications
About Mass Audubon
Mass Audubon is the largest nature-based conservation organization in New England. Founded in 1896 by two women who fought for the protection of birds, Mass Audubon carries on their legacy by focusing on the greatest challenges facing the environment today: the loss of biodiversity, inequitable access to nature, and climate change. With the help of our 160,000 members and supporters, we protect wildlife, conserve and restore resilient land, advocate for impactful environmental policies, offer nationally recognized education programs for adults and children, and provide endless opportunities to experience the outdoors at our wildlife sanctuaries. Explore, find inspiration, and take action at www.massaudubon.org.
About This Position
Never has there been a more urgent time to address the protection of land and nature as a key influencer in mitigating climate change. There has also never been a more exciting time in Mass Audubon’s history with its position as a leader in nature-based climate solutions. If you are passionate about protecting nature and wildlife and being at the forefront of a timely and imperative global issue, and want to dedicate your excellent relationship building and project management skills to a great mission - consider joining Mass Audubon’s philanthropy team. We are on an exhilarating upward trajectory and are revved up for growth.
Guided by an ambitious and broadly recognized new President, our recently designed Action Agenda, and a fairly new Chief Development Officer, the philanthropy team is positioned for success. This past fundraising year was Mass Audubon’s best ever, breaking boundaries and achieving more than $25 million in support of its statewide network of nature and wildlife sanctuaries and new programs initiated by the Action Agenda. We have the membership, donor base, and foundational programs to accelerate fundraising and – despite COVID – are on a rapid growth path.
We seek an ambitious, motivated professional with a strong track record of helping to create exceptional donor experiences and project management to support an increasingly mature frontline fundraising team and an evolving culture of philanthropy. The Associate Director, Stewardship and Donor Communications will design and have responsibility for the core functions of acknowledgement and stewardship, shared event strategies, gift management, donor recognition, and donor communications for a nine-region, 36-member fundraising team. This position will be a critical part of the Shared Services team, reporting to the Director of Development, Engagement and Statewide Initiatives.
The successful candidate will come with a demonstrable track record of thoughtful communication, motivation, discipline, and outcomes that have supported an active frontline team of revenue producers for a complex, matrixed organization. The Associate Director must be self-motivated, a juggler of many balls, and have a healthy sense of both humor and determination.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Partner with the field-based fundraising team to strengthen and share their successful events in ways that others can replicate; occasionally creating new opportunities and ideas.
- Design and manage a high touch stewardship program for significant donors, particularly those interacting with the President.
- Continuously evaluate and refresh our acknowledgement process and content, being mindful of the many relationships a donor can hold with Mass Audubon. Partner with our fundraisers and administrative team to make this process efficient, timely, and effective.
- Oversee gift coding, adherence to donor intent, and financial and business practices such that there is a high degree of accuracy, efficiency, and follow through. Staff management as it relates to these functions.
- New projects that relate to donor relations and engagement.
At Mass Audubon, our highest priority is finding the best candidate for the job. Research has shown that people of color and women are less likely to apply for jobs if they don't believe they meet every one of the qualifications described in a job description. We encourage you to apply, even if you don't believe you meet every one of our described qualifications or you have a less traditional background. We are looking for applicants with the following qualifications:
- A passion for nature and conservation.
- Customer service orientation, desire to support others in their professional development and achievement, and appreciation for the significance of donor experiences.
- Demonstrated skill in achieving alignment, working cross-team, providing active support and close collaboration amongst a broad range of stakeholders in relation to plans and execution.
- Sound judgment and work ethic, and the ability to think strategically and act decisively.
- Extraordinary attention to detail in designing and presenting data and financial documents.
- Demonstrable appreciation for confidentiality and professional integrity.
- Ability to handle important relationships with respect, diplomacy and follow through.
- Excellent written and verbal communication.
- Display balanced intellect that combines analysis, experience, and perspective in making decisions and solving problems.
- Strong skills with Microsoft Office software and CRMs, and facile with presentation software.
- Five or more years of progressive fundraising or other sales-like experience.
Compensation & Benefits
This position’s base salary range is $80,000 - $95,000; actual salary will reflect level of experience and qualifications relative to position requirements.
Benefits eligible staff at Mass Audubon may elect to enroll in medical, dental, and vision plans. Mass Audubon also offers disability and life insurance plans, a retirement plan through MetLife, and Flexible Spending Account options. Mass Audubon employment also includes access to an Employee Assistance Program (EAP) and the Reciprocity Agreement through the Consortium of Non-Profit Arts/Cultural/Environmental Organizations of New England. Mass Audubon employees also enjoy 12 paid holidays (holidays may shift annually due to where days fall within calendar).
This is a full-time position, though flexible hours and work location – within reason – may be negotiated.
Employees must successfully complete a CORI and SORI Background Check and a Motor Vehicle Record (if applicable) is required.
Mass Audubon requires that all staff, regardless of their work location, disclose their vaccination status. Proof of vaccination status will be required immediately upon hire. This should also include a booster shot if it has been 5 months since you were initially vaccinated.
Mass Audubon's Commitment To Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, & Justice
Mass Audubon's mission is to "protect the nature of Massachusetts for people and for wildlife" by building a strong coalition of employees, volunteers, and community members. We recognize that the environmental movement and field of conservation have been affected by societal systems that have limited opportunity and access for many people. As a result, Mass Audubon is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and applicants. We are engaged in an ongoing process of organizational assessment and change, designed to remove barriers and create a workplace where all forms of diversity are recognized and valued.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Mass Audubon is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and applicants. Mass Audubon prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
How To Apply
Please send cover letter and resume to: