Assistant Camp Director - Boston Nature Center
This year Camp BNC will run from June 21 to September 3. Camp BNC will offer 11, week-long camp sessions for children ages 5 to 15. BNC Camp staff and families are diverse in ethnicity, socio-economics, gender, abilities, and more. Camp is equitable and inclusive for families through a variety of strategies including sliding scale fees, accessible programing, and community-focused atmosphere. We are looking for an Assistant Director that will support our goal of blending a high-quality environmental education with all the elements of a traditional camp; helping children find a connection to nature while receiving all the benefits that come along with a great camp experience. The Assistant Camp Director will support the Camp Director in the daily operations of camp and directly supervise the camp for before care (7:30 a.m.- 9:00 a.m.) or after care programing (4:30 p.m.-6:30 p.m.). The Assistant Camp Director will assist in many of the administrative aspects of camp, oversee the health and safety of campers, communicate with parents, and assist in the supervision of camp staff, teen counselors and volunteers. Applicant will be expected to provide professional development for camp staff including Counselors in Training, volunteers, and camp educators. Assistant Directors work as professional mentors to our Junior Counselors throughout the summer. The Assistant Camp Director will help educators with program planning and substitute teach when needed.
Join our team of staff who enjoy learning and working together in a beautiful urban wildlife sanctuary!
- Applicants should be at least 21 years of age;
- Ability to work flexible hours; occasional weekend hours during training;
- Have experience working at a camp in a leadership role;
- Have a sense of fun;
- Applicants should have an interest and general knowledge of natural history and/or education;
- Must have the ability to lead groups over rough terrain;
- Be able to work both cooperatively and independently;
- Must be comfortable in a leadership role, have strong interpersonal skills, have an enthusiastic and positive attitude, a love of nature and have a willingness to learn;
- Applicants will be expected to have effective communication skills, both written and verbal, and a strong commitment to high quality customer service;
- Demonstrated ability to promote and respect diversity of ethnic, cultural, linguistic backgrounds and, physical and mental disabilities;
- Applicants must have CPR/First aid certification or willing to obtain (training will be available);
- Successful candidates must pass a background records check (CORI and SORI)
Compensation and Benefits
Rate of Pay: $16.50 to $18.50/hr based on experience
Schedule: Administrative Training June 7-11, Staff Training June 14-18. Camp runs Monday – Friday, June 21 – September 3rd.
Greater Boston residents are strongly encouraged to apply. Every inquiry will be treated confidentially
Detailed job description available upon request.
How to Apply
To inquire about this position:
Send resume, cover letter, and names and phone numbers of 3 references to:
Boston Nature Center
500 Walk Hill Street
Boston, MA 02126