Assistant Camp Director – Berkshire Camp
The Assistant Camp Director is responsible for camp when the Camp Director is not available and must be able to supervise camp and act as “Director on Duty” in event of Camp Director absence. The Assistant Director supervises camp staff and camp activities and offers guidance and support as needed. They provide assistance to the Camp Director in all programmatic, safety, and administrative components of camp. The Assistant Director also serves as part of the counseling team, planning and leading activities for a group of campers.
- Design and implement a nature education program for children that reflects Mass Audubon’s mission;
- Plan daily sessions, including hikes, exploration activities, nature crafts, stories, songs, etc.;
- Provide a physically and emotionally safe environment for children;
- Serve as a vital bridge between camp staff and the camp director;
- Maintain the physical environment of camp by assisting with and delegating housekeeping tasks;
- Support ongoing training of camp staff;
- Spend up to 6 hours daily outdoors with participants during all kinds of weather;
- Maintain schedule as determined by the Camp Director;
- Be available for training and all nine weeks of the program.
- Love of nature and teaching children;
- At least 2 years' experience working in a camp setting;
- Experience with and a strong commitment to diversity equity inclusion and justice.
- General understanding of New England forest ecology and basic identification skills for local flora and fauna.
- Bachelor’s Degree (completed or in progress) in Environmental Education, Early Childhood Education, or equivalent experience/knowledge
Compensation and Benefits
$17 per hour; approximately 38 hours/week x 9 weeks.
Housing is not provided, however we can provide information on securing housing for the summer.
2021 Camp Season: June 21-25 (training), June 28 – August 27
Program Hours: 9:00am – 1pm; Monday - Friday
How to Apply
Please send letter of interest, resume; and contact info for three references to: