Animal Husbandry Intern - Joppa Flats - Fall 2019
The Animal Husbandry Intern train to manage the care and feeding of a variety of cold marine invertebrates and fish in our 110-gallon touch tank and a 50-gallon nursery tank onsite. This intern will also be trained on how to care and feed and track the development of our juvenile horseshoe crabs we are raising onsite. This intern will also accompany the staff on seasonal collecting trips to the sandy beach, rocky tide pools, salt marsh and ponds when needed. This intern is responsible for weekly maintenance of the bird feeders and bird baths on the property. There are multiple terms for this internship and upon mutual agreement, the internship can be extended season to season.
Commitment: 10-12 hours per week.
Days: Flexible weekdays with minimal weekend commitment.
- Maintain our seasonal aquaria and care for and feed their inhabitants (coastal invertebrates and fish)
- perform necessary tank maintenance including chemistry, water changes and winterization in November
- Perform bi-monthly tank inventory counts
- Chart the development of juvenile horseshoe crabs
- Assist with on-the-beach release and collecting trips
- Upkeep the animal collection log and submit report at the end of the term
- Perform weekly water chemistry tests (NH4, NO2, NO3, pH) and salinity checks
- Take photographs and videos of marine life and for online Animal Care Journal
- At least 18 years of age or a senior in high school
- Requires a Massachusetts driving license
- Experience with tank maintenance, animal care, and feeding (salt water preferred)
- Local knowledge of New England coastal ecology and rocky shore species a plus but not required
- Demonstrates strong communication skills
- Can work independently or as part of a team
- Must pass a background records check (CORI, SORI and driver's)
Compensation and Benefits
This is an unpaid internship.
No phone calls please.
How to Apply
Please email your cover letter and resume to