Animal Husbandry Intern - Joppa Flats
The Animal Husbandry Interns (AHI) works with the Education Coordinator of School & Youth Programs on the care, feeding and maintenance of onsite tanks and aquaria including a 110 gallon cold marine touch tank and a 50 gallon salt marsh tank, a 30 gallon freshwater pond tank, and various insect and temporary visitor tanks. The interns train with the Joppa Flats Biosurvey Naturalist on our plant and insect species inventory project will learn how to further develop our online insect guide and create seasonal training aids and activity sheets for visitors. The term for this internship is late August through mid-November.
Commitment: 15 hours per week.
Days: Flexible weekdays with minimal weekend commitment.
- Maintain our 110- and 50- gallon cold marine aquarium tanks; care for and feed their inhabitants (coastal invertebrates and fish); perform necessary tank maintenance
- Perform bi-monthly tank inventory counts
- Assist with on-the-beach release and collecting trips
- Upkeep the animal collection log and submit report at the end of the term
- Perform weekly water chemistry tests (NH4, NO2, NO3, pH)
- Set up temporary tanks for pond life, salt marsh life or for seasonal “guests” (tadpoles, insects, etc.)
- Assist with the development of our plant and insect species inventory
- Learn how to use online resources for species identification and record keeping
- Create seasonal plant and insect training aids and activity sheets for visitors
- Assist Joppa Flats staff with field gear repairs and equipment maintenance as needed.
- At least 18 years of age or a senior in high school
- Requires a Massachusetts driving license
- Experience with tank maintenance, animal care, and feeding (salt water preferred)
- Local knowledge of New England coastal ecology and rocky shore species a plus but not required
- Knowledge of botany or experience gardening a plus
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills
- Can work independently or as part of a team
- Must pass a background records check (CORI, SORI and driver's)
Compensation and Benefits
This is an unpaid internship.
How to Apply
Please email your cover letter and resume to:
No phone calls please.